1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Let's Put The X In The Running Baseball Thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by BYH, Aug 13, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BYH

BYH Active Member

Yeah I just referenced Kiss. At least Flying Headbutt might like it.

I got to start a baseball thread. Bitches!

Fun fact: If the Red Sox and Yankees play a one-game playoff for all the marbles, it'll occur Oct. 1--one day before the 29th anniversary of Bucky Fuckin Dent.

2. Flying Headbutt

Flying Headbutt Moderator Staff Member

Re: Let's Put The X In The Baseball Thread

I got excited for a second when I saw the preview of the title on the main board. Rock and roll!!!!!!!

3. Angola!

Angola! Guest

Fun fact:
    The Red Sox 3-5 hitters (Ortiz, Manny and Drew) have combined for 43 homers. ARod has 39.

4. JackyJackBN

JackyJackBN Guest

Here's my post from the last thread that was squelched, although it's highly debatable whether it deserves a reprieve:

I can't figure the guy out. The team shaved their heads toward the end of their most recent losing streak, and only Weaver opted out. On the other hand, he never ducked interviews, even when he was at his worst.

He seems to have a resilient arm, and he can throw strikes from several angles when he's on. Earlier this year his pitches were flat and minus a yard or two; now they have has some break and some zip.

He would bring on some serious outrage if he pitched in that September series. And danged if I know how he would handle it.

Is there something about dealing with Scott Boras that makes his clients go sideways?

5. Angola!

Angola! Guest

That is why I hate Weaver so much. He has nasty shit when he is on, but he didn't ever seem to be on in New York. I don't know if he is a head case or what, but I remember him in Detroit and thinking how good he was. I really, really thought he was going to be very good for the next 5-10 years for the Yankees.
    Of course, I was also excited when they acquired Home-run Javy Vazquez. So, take my opinion for what it's worth.

6. Fun fact: In 59 starts, Clemens, Mussina and Pettitte have 20 wins.

In 22 starts, Beckett has 15 wins

7. Angola!

Angola! Guest

Well, I was a lot younger and not nearly as jaded about life and baseball then. So, maybe I misinterpreted how good Weaver was. I just always liked him and thought he would be good. Of course, a starter relying on a Jeff Nelson-esque frisbee pitch is maybe not the best thing in the world.

8. Angola!

Angola! Guest

Fun fact:
    The only reason I care how many wins Beckett has is because it will help BYH win his bet.

9. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

... you, and a thousand other scouts of contending teams at the trade deadline.

I have never, NEVER, understood what other people see in him. Not in 1999. Not in 2005. Not in last year's playoffs. And certainly not the umpteen times he's imploded in midseason.

When the Yanks traded for him before the deadline in 2002, he was 39-51 overall. Today, he's 89-111 career. A below-average pitcher, and he always will be.

10. Angola!

Angola! Guest

Which is one reason I see the Mariners falling off. Though I also don't think the Yankees will win the division because their offense is going to fade. The only way they stay hot is if their starting pitching really steps up.

11. Watch out Gola!

You're approaching post no. 6666

12. WazzuGrad00

WazzuGrad00 Guest

I think the Mariners' future hinges more on Miguel Batista than on Jeff Weaver. For every game like Sunday's, Weaver has one exactly the opposite. Batista has been surprisingly reliable to this point.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.