1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Let's Go Mets: Ditch the Black

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by writing irish, Jan 9, 2007.

1. WScribblySh

WScribblySh Member

Any chance we could also get the Royals to ditch the blue BP jerseys that they wore five times a freaking week last season?

2. suburbanite

suburbanite Active Member

I agree the Mets' black uniforms look crappy, as do most black uniforms of teams.

However, this whole thing reminds me that Mushnick once wrote, I kid you not, that the Oakland Raiders were using black just to impress the gangs. Uh, Phil, they've worn those colors since the early 1960s. ::)

3. Webster

Webster Well-Known Member

Mushnick's ongoing rant for about 2 years was criticizing any team with a black third uniform for pandering to the gang culture in America.

4. writing irish

writing irish Active Member

Let's not get too hysterical with the gang stuff. Black, once a color chosen mainly by hipsters, was a trendy clothing color in mainstream culture during the 90s...it was part of the whole superficial hip-ification in the 90s, as skewered brilliantly by Thomas Frank in "The Conquest of Cool."

But yes, the Royals were looking to sell jerseys to more than just Crips. :)

5. finishthehat

finishthehat Active Member

Draft saved Draft deleted