1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Let's go bowling!---2014-2015 NCAA FB Bowl Thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Chef2, Dec 8, 2015.

1. Chef2

Chef2 Well-Known Member

I bow in your general direction.

2. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

Wait, you were an SID once? Next thing you're going to reveal is that you once worked for the Ad Dept., too.

3. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

Yeah, for a little over a year. It didn't take.

4. jr/shotglass

jr/shotglass Well-Known Member

I sort of looked at it that way for a while. But then it occurred to me, what the hell is it really hurting to have 40 bowl games? If you only want to watch seven of them, only watch seven of them. If you have to cover a game in West Bumfuck over the holidays, hey, them's the breaks. But I don't see too much bad in a football team playing an extra game, neither for the players or for the fans.

expendable likes this.
  5. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

The big problem with the expansion of bowl games is 5-7 teams getting into conference tie-in games. They should be at the end of the line. Of course, those bowls end up taking an even bigger bite out of the budgets of the 6-6 Group of 5 teams since their fans don't travel and those schools end up having to eat a bigger unsold ticket bill than they would in a lesser bowl, but that's life in the big time.

6. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

Stanford Iowa will be 13-10 or something. 10-7. 7-3. Whole lotta slogging in that game.

7. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

Question for the many people better informed on college football than myself. Why did ESPN choose to have the playoff bowls on New Year's Eve rather than Saturday the 2nd of January? They took away a day traditionally reserved for the "lesser" bowls like the Sun Bowl, and I don't see how they're increasing their audience on an evening and night when many people still go out.

8. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

Because the Rose Bowl demands to be on New Year's Day in the afternoon. So to have both playoff games on the same day, they're on Dec. 31 this year.

Now, as to why they can't have them on Saturday, Jan. 2, I really don't know.

9. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

It's going to be Dec. 31 quite a few times over the next few years, I think. I don't mind it a bit. Looking forward to it, actually.

10. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

It cheapens the prestige of being in a bowl. I remember as a kid, it was a big deal for a team to make a bowl. A bowl bid was a big thing at stake to play for. Now? Whoop-de-damn-do. Most of them are the equivalent of the CBI tournament.

Only good thing about it is the players get gifts for playing in the game.

11. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

Money. Advertising money. That's why.

12. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

Yeah, Steak, that's the puzzler. I know about the Rose Bowl, but you'd think that ESPN would put its highlight games at the end of the multi-bowl cycle, not in front of other bowls. It's as if Jimi Hendrix opened Woodstock instead of closing it.
    Songbird, I have to believe ratings would be higher on Jan 2., thus more money in advertising, than they'll be on Dec. 31.

Draft saved Draft deleted