1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Let's do a media survey/poll

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by mrbio, May 4, 2011.

1. Rusty Shackleford

Rusty Shackleford Active Member

Howland prefers to take that literally.

2. SoCalDude

SoCalDude Active Member

Tom Asbury? You gotta be kidding. He's one of the best guys I've dealt with in 41 years in the biz.
    Every year, when I had to broach the topic of him leaving for a different job, he promised me he'd let me know when it was going to happen, that I wouldn't get beat on the story. When he got the Kansas State job, he refused to let K-State make the announcement until he personally gave me the information.

3. Gator_Hawks

Gator_Hawks Member

Nicest: Marty Biron
    Oddest / Most Eccentric: Pedro Martinez
    Most Available: Phil Martelli

4. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

He was at K-State when I dealt with him. Maybe he changed after a few years of learning from the Grandmaster of all coaching dickheads (Snyder).

5. GidalKaiser

GidalKaiser Member

Career-defining (so far): Mia Hamm and members of the 2002 World Cup women's soccer team; Allan H. "Bud" Selig. Though the commissioner, in his 10-minute sit-down with me, lightly sprayed saliva on me a couple times.
    Funniest to recall with college colleagues: Van Chancellor, who kept calling me "ma'am" over the phone. For the record, I'm a male, and I had a cold that day.

6. Mizzougrad96

I covered the 1999 women's World Cup and all of the players were nicer and more accessible than any human could have possibly wanted.

7. Jesus_Muscatel

Jesus_Muscatel Well-Known Member

Having encountered the Chuckster at an after-hours bar in Birmingham at 3 in the morning after an NCAA Tournament game at the BJCC, and an impromptu 20-minute conversation with two colleagues, it's the truth. Really funny, cool, witty, you name it.

8. Mizzougrad96

Shaq might be up there for funniest, but that would require that you could tell when he was joking (and nobody who has ever covered him has been able to do this...) and when he's not.

9. Mizzougrad96

Barkley is an all-timer. Funny, smart and almost always willing to talk no matter what the subject is. That's pretty rare in a superstar.

10. GuessWho

GuessWho Active Member

Nicest: Bill Self, Jack Pardee
    Funniest: Charley Barkley, Abe Lemons
    Oddest: Mike Leach
    Friendliest: Self
    Most interesting: Former NFL DE Sean Jones, Bob Knight
    Surliest: About 100 different baseball players.
    Most difficult to understand: Hakeem Olajuwon
    Best quote: Cedric (Cornbread) Maxwell, Mychael Thompson
    Worst quote: Too many to count

11. fishwrapper

fishwrapper Active Member

Most intelligent: Pat Haden
    Biggest asshole: Rod Carew
    Most intimidating: Bob Gibson
    Most difficult to figure: Barry Sanders, Sandy Koufax (tie)
    Classiest: Steve Yzerman
    Most competitive: Jerry West
    Coolest: Dick Butkus

12. Mizzougrad96

It's interesting... I don't doubt Ditka was a nightmare to deal with when he was a coach, but every time I dealt with him from 2002 on, he was just about as nice and accomodating as he could be. He'd call me back, he'd give me multiple numbers where he could be reached...

Draft saved Draft deleted