1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Let's do a media survey/poll

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by mrbio, May 4, 2011.

1. mrbio

mrbio Member

Did I say this was for a story?

No.

2. ShiptoShore

ShiptoShore Member

Most polite: Vernon Gholston and Tony Richardson (tie)
    Most difficult to understand: Zdeno Chara
    Tallest: Zdeno Chara
    Most coachspeak: College hockey players
    Most open and easy going: College lacrosse players

3. Shaggy

Shaggy Guest

Nicest: Paul Byrd

Funniest: Vermont coach Tom Brennan; Bob Knight had his moments, too.

Oddest: Charlie Coles (in a good way) or Mike Leach

Frendliest: Bill Self or, believe it or not, Charlie Manuel. Many college baseball players could go here too.

Surliest: Albert Pujols pregame, Augie Garrido after a loss.

Biggest dick: Ben Howland

Most difficult to understand: Tony Pena

Best quote: Honest to god, a high school kid I covered my first year in sportswriting. He was amazing.

Worst quote: I covered college football for a while. Take your pick.

4. Jesus_Muscatel

Jesus_Muscatel Well-Known Member

Shaggy's right on Paul Byrd. Archie Manning, former Saints teammate Jim Wilks live in the same neighborhood.

We'll agree to disagree on Bob Knight. He's about as funny as Mussolini on a bender in Boys Town.

Thread starter mrbio is right on Joey Belle.

(Albert? Uh, yeah, whatever dude.)

I'll add this category:

Biggest tool box: Ditka, Mike.

It's a freakin' Home Depot.

Good call, Bumpy McGee.

5. Shaggy

Shaggy Guest

Knight did make the monotonous bore of press conferences--particularly in the postseason when there were a lot of them--entertaining at least with his arrogance.

I'll never forget a young kid asking after a win how so and so was motivated to get more rebounds, and Knight deadpanned that the coaching staff unanimously agreed to shoot the player if he failed to grab more boards in that game. The kid wasn't sure if he was serious.

I would never want to deal with him day to day, but his pressers were a relieving dose of humor in an otherwise boring aspect of the job.

6. Writer33

Writer33 Member

Nicest — Sean Elliott

7. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

Nicest -- Jim Larranaga
    Classiest -- Jim Larranaga
    Most polite -- Jim Larranaga
    Most sincere -- Jim Larranaga
    Most inspiring -- Jim Larranaga
    Best quote -- Jim Larranaga
    Most honest -- Jim Larranaga

8. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

Most intelligent: Good call on McEnroe.

Coolest: Chad Johnson. This was pre Ochocinco when he was better liked than he is now. I talked to him for an hour and it seemed like 10 minutes. I asked him about how he goes into every opposing team conference call with a script that barely changes week-to-week and he said, "Yeah, and you guys have been falling for it for about five years."

Funniest: Barkley.

Oddest: Barry Bonds. I got extremely lucky and got Bonds to talk with me for about 10-15 minutes. I was wearing a college World Series T-shirt and he said, "Hey, I played in that." and somehow we started talking about Oddibe McDowell and Dave Magadan. It was very, very strange.

Biggest asshole: Jeff Kent, Hal Mumme, Bill Snyder, Tom Asbury.

9. rtse11

rtse11 Well-Known Member

After covering the Bill Belichick years with the Browns, I can honestly say I've never despised anyone on a professional basis more than him. After the last home game in 1994, as Browns fans are in a near riot and the players are crying, Belichick was asked about his emotions. "I was just trying to win the game." Fucking moron, you're 5-11.

10. Keystone

Keystone Member

Agreed

When I covered the CAA it was great with personalities like Lefty and Sonny at media day.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 1, 2015
  11. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

The ACC's gain, then. And Frank Haith didn't exactly come across as awful.

As for Paul Hewitt, he's a fairly standup guy, though one incident in Raleigh didn't help. Julius Hodge completed an old-fashioned three-point play to beat Georgia Tech. He was asked about the play in the postgame presser and he quickly responded with "I haven't seen the tape" three times, probably trying not go into full meltdown at the presser.

FWIW, I had gotten word that Hewitt made a point to find out who had asked the question and apologized over the phone from Atlanta.

As for Jim Larranaga, I know that one year when George Mason was in Durham, a sideline reporter got him just before he ducked into the locker room at intermission (it was either Larranaga or one of Mike Krzyzewski's assistants, after all). Larranaga gave such an analytical, complete, honest answer to the question that when the talking heads sent viewers back to the Bristol studios, the talking heads there were visibly and verbally stunned at Larranaga's answers.

Could be a lot of fun in Coral Gables.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 1, 2015
  12. SF_Express

SF_Express Active Member

Lee Roy Selmon was probably the nicest guy I dealt with professionally, and I met quite a few after him. Doug Williams was a pretty nice guy when I dealt with him; obviously dating myself.

John McKay was certainly interesting, but so bipolar.

Draft saved Draft deleted