1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Let me christen the first "American Idol" 2008 thread

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by printdust, Jan 15, 2008.

1. Diabeetus

Diabeetus Active Member

But the advertising, Tony. Think of the money they rake in with this.

2. Diabeetus

Diabeetus Active Member

Creepy guy reminded me of someone who would post regularly on this board :D

3. old_tony

old_tony Well-Known Member

Better yet, Fast Times at Ridgemont High in 24 minutes on Cinemax.

4. old_tony

I fully understand that. It's a huge ratings winner for Fox so they want to spread it out over 20-some weeks. But if America wised up and refused to watch the 85% trash they expose you to in the first weeks, maybe they wouldn't do it. You get the entertainment you put up with.

5. old_tony

If there are any unsolved murders or rapes in New Hope, Pa., I think the police can now close those cases. Wow, that guy who sang his stalk song to Paula was the epitomy of creepy. That was extremely disturbing.

6. old_tony

How's this for irony? The woman who follows that guy -- Name: Beth Stalker.

7. Italian_Stallion

Italian_Stallion Active Member

When that dude said Peter Falk, he won huge points with me. I would have sent him through to the next round. They were a little abrupt with him. I thought it was pretty clearly a ruse. They acted as if he was dangerous.

8. Diabeetus

Diabeetus Active Member

Star Wars girl!!!

Hottttttttt!

9. old_tony

If I were Paula I would file for a restraining order right away.

10. BYH

BYH Active Member

That girl with the handicapped mom was so sad for reasons beyond the obvious.

How do people get snookered into believing American Idol is their ticket out of unhappiness? The odds are so incomprehensibly long for people who CAN sing. How do those who can't sing end up deluding themselves into believing they are the one?

11. old_tony

I can only think of one answer: No one has told them the truth their entire life.

12. Italian_Stallion

Italian_Stallion Active Member

It's the saddest kind of sad. These are people for whom there is no hope. To find a shred of it in something like American Idol is like a bright light in their dark worlds. Reality be damned. Part of me is sickened to see Fox exploit some 16-year-old girl who will probably be on the streets in two years. But part of me says it's a true reflection of America, perhaps a truer reflection than we'd get almost any other way. We see people from all walks of life united by the same dream.

Draft saved Draft deleted