1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Let me ask this Mariotti question....Updated by Moddy.

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by jason_whitlock, Jun 27, 2006.

1. Seriously, crawl inside Jay's head and tell me what is he thinking. While trying to "lay low" Monday, Jay went on a television tour of every cable talk-show in America. He was screaming, shucking and jiving and blustering as best he could. He has stated he's afraid to go into the White Sox locker room, compared himself to radio talk-show hosts, ripped his paper's integrity, said he can work in Chicago as long as he wants and repeatedly insinuated that all the other sports writers in Chicago are afraid to criticize the home teams.

What is he thinking? What is his game plan?

My theory: He and his agent think this is his opportunity to go to the next level and land his on national TV or radio show. He sees himself as the sports version of Rush Limbaugh and he's hoping to catch the attention of a major media network. Jim Rome blew up after Jim Everett attacked. Jay thinks this is his Jim Rome moment.

2. spud

spud Member

Re: Let me ask this Mariotti question....

I think you're right about him pouncing on this. I remember he appeared on ATH the day of the incident, and he wasn't really making a big stink about it. He acknowledged that it had happened, and while he didn't brush it aside, he certainly wasn't raving.

Now that his "people" have gotten to him, I have a feeling that he's going to be milking this situation for all it's worth.

Next we'll be hearing, "Check that, Ozzina Guillen... welcome to the program!"

3. Left_Coast

Left_Coast Active Member

Agreed. I think he's sick, twisted and demented. He's all hot air. It's his MO and how he's put together. It's his way of trying to get people back on his side. Ain't gonna work.

4. Gold

Gold Active Member

I think Mariotti is trying to milk this situation and make it work for him. It is a sports talk show type mentality.

So I kind of agree with Jason Whitlock in that regard, but I disagree in this respect - the incident with Jim Rome and Jim Everett didn't help Rome's television career. There was a lot of attention, including ESPN overplaying it completely. That show faded away and Rome went a couple of years without being on television.

Moreover, that incident showed Rome for what he was - a chicken-ass punk.

5. spud

spud Member

You'd be a chicken ass punk with Jim Everett overturning a table in your face too. Rome is a douche, but lets not get carried away here.

6. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Ha! What Rome did should be the wikipedia definition of a chicken ass punk. To purposely goad the guy like some lame middle schooler then run squawking.

7. spnited

spnited Active Member

Let me ask these Mariotti questions:

Why are we beating this dead horse?
    Why should anybody outside of Chicago or any moron who watches the screamfest known as Around the Horn give a fuck about Jay Mariotti?

8. Re: Let me ask this Mariotti question....

they call this place "sportsjournalists.com".... let me know when they change the name, spnited.

9. spnited

spnited Active Member

So we need six threads on this douchebag?
    Or does each new threads you start feed your overwhelming ego, Jason?

What you and Mariotti need is a MediaWhore.com message board.

10. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

... Anyway....

I think Jay has made his bed here. He is the victim of the mean ol' White Sox. He's gonna play that card for all its worth. He'll be the Cindy Sheehan of sports journalism.

11. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

spnited: IMO this story has gone way, way, way past the individuals involved into a study of the dysfunctional American newspaper. The Sun Times appears to be unraveling at the seams, unable to cope with a formerly valued employee in the midst of nationally televised mutiny. No person in that organization has stepped forward to try and end the situation or even to PUT THE PAPER FIRST. That's amazing, dismal, and infinitely more important than any individual opinions of Jay Mariotti voiced on this site.

12. Re: Let me ask this Mariotti question....

an anonymous man with 8,000 posts... says this...this place is absolutely hysterical sometimes..

Draft saved Draft deleted