1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

LEST WE FORGET

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Flash, Nov 11, 2008.

1. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

Thanks

I would type something mean in return, but why?

2. 93Devil

Sorry if I was overstepping.

3. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

It wasn't meant to be mean. Most people on that thead point out (rightfully) that the very fact you would debate MAKING your wife go to your reunion is stupid.

These (until the recent ones) were respectful thanks. Quality over quantity.

4. Flash

Flash Guest

Christ, a pissing match over a Remembrance Day thread ... I think I've finally seen it all.

5. Lieslntx

Lieslntx Active Member

I was thinking the same thing, Flash. Let's get back to feeling and spreading the love.

6. 93Devil

A post from the other thread if that is ok...

I have no way to place myself in your shoes for the sacrafices you have made for our countries.

I have a little one now, and I cannot imagine running off to a foreign country that I might not ever return to see my little girl again.

So the best I can do right now is say thanks.

7. imjustagirl

Is Remembrance Day what it's called in Canada? Here it's Veterans Day, which is why 93D thought it necessary, I'm guessing.

8. JR

JR Well-Known Member

It's called Rememberance Day here in Canada. In some provinces it's a holiday.

WW1 was a big deal up here. We lost far more men than we did in WW2.

We were still part of the British Empire. We fought under the Union Jack.

9. imjustagirl

My dad was in Vietnam.

10. JR

JR Well-Known Member

My uncle was killed in Holland.

11. Birdscribe

Birdscribe Active Member

Excellent thread, Flash.

I've already talked to my dad, who turned 94 in September and served his country at such garden spots as Utah Beach, the Ardennes Forest and the Rhine crossing. He didn't even remember it was Veteran's Day and once I reminded him, he pooh-pooed it.

Typical.

Here's another moving story about the oldest WWI vet -- a former airman. BTW, the plane they mentioned him flying, the BE2c, was an utter POS that was basically bait for any German plane in the neighborhood.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/27646518/?GT1=43001.

And Alley, threebags and the rest of the veterans of SportsJournalists.com Nation -- thank you.

12. ink-stained wretch

ink-stained wretch Active Member

Required reading for Veterans Day and Memorial Day:

"Johnny Got His Gun"

Draft saved Draft deleted