1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Less vs. fewer

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by mediaguy, Jan 10, 2011.

1. mediaguy

mediaguy Well-Known Member

So twice during national title game, ESPN graphic has pointed out how many "TD drives of 2 minutes or fewer" a team has this season. That should be "less" and not "fewer," right? With time, we're not counting a number of minutes. Surprised to see that ...

2. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

It's TV, where during blizzards, they can't even get "canceled" spelled right.

3. mediaguy

mediaguy Well-Known Member

That one always surprises me to see wrong -- with the verbs ending in L, if first syllable is stressed, don't double the L in past tense, if second syllable is stressed, double it. Not sure why, but always remembered that one.

4. Hoos3725

Hoos3725 Member

Correct. While it may seem backwards, like you said, you're not counting minutes. It's an amount of time, now a number of minutes. Amount -- less; number -- fewer.

5. Brian

Brian Well-Known Member

Maybe the stations are run by Brits.

6. I'm sure it was a simple mistake. No need to go on the defence.

7. Double J

Double J Active Member

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  8. deskslave

deskslave Active Member

Indeed. If it was two minutes or fewer, it would be drives of two minutes, one minute and, I suppose, zero minutes.

A basketball player would play fewer minutes than his teammates, however.

Draft saved Draft deleted