1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Leprechaun in Chriton, Alabama

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by 93Devil, May 29, 2007.

1. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

OK, I know I am new to this board, but I did a search of the board and could find only one two-post thread about this.

It happened over a year ago, I know, but I really have some questions I need answered. My background is print and I have traded elbows with some of the TV guys in my day, but I still cannot figure this out.

I'm assuming this is a serious news piece.

How did they find out about this? Does the little green guy have a PR man? Did someone come into the news room and say, "there are a bunch of people down the block looking for a leprechaun. Let's do a story."

How did it go through so many people in the newsroom? It looks like the reporter, god help him by the way, went out to the location on a few occasions, and he had a graphic created to go with the piece.

How did it get approved for the air?

How did they allow these quotes in? I have never heard the word crack used jokingly in any type of story.

Bottom line is, I laughed my ass off. What makes it so special (even down the fake intrest by the female talking head) is that it my never be recreated again.

It is perfect.

God bless the internet.

2. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

I kinda thought it was stupid the first time it was posted here...

3. My only question is this: What is up with that first guy's top front teeth? They look like a set of toothpick-sized piano keys. Weird.

4. imjustagirl2

imjustagirl2 New Member

I've seen this posted here probably 5 times. It never ceases to amaze me how willing people are to exploit themselves.

5. thebiglead

thebiglead Member

I have never seen this, and it is hilarious. I need to take a weekend vacation to Mobile, Alabama. I didn't anticipate the lady yelling, 'maybe it's a crackhead.'

6. Lester Bangs

Lester Bangs Active Member

Yeah, it's been posted here a bunch of times before, but never gets old for me. The best thing about it is that you could take it and run it on Chappelle's Show without editing.

7. doubledown68

doubledown68 Active Member

It's classic... but goes to unprecedented heights with the drawing of the leprechaun. :)

8. chazp

chazp Active Member

Whoever drew the sketch needs to go into law enforcement as police artist!

9. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

It is just so perfect.

The drawing on a sheet of paper a fifth grader would have had in their backpack...
    The guy giving directions on a dead end street...
    His great, grand parents being thousands of years old...

Just how it made on air astounds me.

So why when I searched "Leprechaun" didn't any of these previous threads come up?

10. Bears00

Bears00 Member

Draft saved Draft deleted