1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Leno doesn't want step aside for Conan in 2009

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Double Down, Oct 15, 2007.

1. Pilot

Pilot Well-Known Member

Tonight was a solid Conan, for anyone that saw it.

A fire alarm or something went off during the show -- no skit -- and Conan was awesome. He dropped an f-bomb, showed the audience all the stuff behind his desk (showing that he has a phone meant just to appease him as it doesn't connect to anything) and sit for extended periods of silence as everyone listened to the announcements coming over the building's PA.

Good stuff.

2. Smasher_Sloan

Smasher_Sloan Active Member

Leno is completely lame, but he does great business for NBC. He gets ratings, so he makes them money. He doesn't want to take vacations. He doesn't fight with them about show content. He's not hounding them for prime time specials. He's not holding them up for more money. He'll come in at 4 a.m. to do a live satellite hookup with the Pottstown affiliate's morning show.

And surely the NBC people have to know that Conan's act isn't going to play at 11:30.

3. Mira

Mira Member

I've never been able to embrace Leno. I think he stinks.

Conan and Letterman are both fabulous. They're so talented and their writing is spot-on. When a comedian can make me laugh until I cry, that's a good thing.

4. BNWriter

BNWriter Active Member

Have you noticed though that Letterman is doing a couple of Carson-originated bits -- "Fun Facts" and "Stump The Band"??

As for who is funnier between the two -- It's Leno. As for his not wanting to leave, I thought the whole point to his leaving in '09 was so he could persue his stand-up career again and have a bit of a life after the Tonight Show.

I almost buy that O.J. and a possible second Clinton WH are giving him second thoughts.

5. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

On no level is Leno's Tonight Show funnier than Letterman...

I actually think Kimmell's monologue is better than both of them...

I do agree that Conan's act might not work as well at 11:30.

Bottomline is, whoever is hosting the Tonight Show is at a huge advantage, because there are plenty of blue hairs who watch for no reason other than that's what they've been doing for the last 30-40 years...

This is my late night priority list...

1. The Daily Show - I watch every night...
    2. The Colbert Report - I watch every night...
    3. Jimmy Kimmell - I watch once or twice a week...
    4. David Letterman - Once a week, maybe more depending on who his guests are...
    5. Conan O'Brien - I like his show, but for whatever reason, only watch occasionally...
    6. Craig Ferguson - I think he sucks. I loved Kilborn.
    7. Leno - I'll watch if he has an amazing guest, but it always surprises me how often I can watch the show without so much as smirking. It makes SNL seem like a laughfest...

6. jgmacg

jgmacg Guest

Jay Leno is the luckiest headline-the-Thursday-night-opening-of-your-state-fair-grandstand comic in America.

7. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

It's amazing how many comics just hate Leno... I don't think it's necessarily a jealousy thing because they all seem to love Kimmell, Conan, Stewart and especially Letterman...

8. jgmacg

jgmacg Guest

Letterman is Carson's linear heir. Same genius for the medium. Same instinct for the material. Same comic generosity in making his guests look better than they are. Same impacted personality.

Letterman's the Truth. Leno's the middle act at the Chuckle Hut.

9. imjustagirl2

imjustagirl2 New Member

I. Don't. Get. Letterman.

Never have.

10. Flying Headbutt

Flying Headbutt Moderator Staff Member

I love watching Dave's fun facts every Friday. Letterman may have gotten a bit stale and routine a while back, but when I've seen his show lately it's always good, biting stuff. Smart and funny. Not corny.

11. Double Down

Double Down Well-Known Member

Well then you've obviously never seen the various incarnations of "Can A Guy In A Bear Suit..." including my personal favorite, "Can A Guy In A Bear Suit Get Into a Strip Club."

Yes. Yes he can.

12. EStreetJoe

EStreetJoe Well-Known Member

Let Leno stay and keep Conan at 12:30.... that way it will still be easy for Max to get time off to tour with Bruce. That probably won't be allowed to happen much after Conan & Max move to 11:30.

Draft saved Draft deleted