1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Lenders may take Tribune, oust Zell

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by BTExpress, Jun 7, 2009.

1. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

One of a hundred things that could happen, I suppose.

http://www.chicagotribune.com/business/chi-mon-tribune-0608-jun08,0,5886810.story

2. OnTheRiver

OnTheRiver Active Member

If'un we're all gonna go down, I s'pose the Head Asshole in Charge oughta come, too.

3. zebracoy

zebracoy Guest

Keep your fingers crossed.

4. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

We don't have that kinda luck.

5. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

The most unintentionally funny line comes near the end . . .

"The new owners will also have to consider how much it would cost to replace Tribune Co.'s ESOP with a retirement plan attractive enough to retain employees -- a 401(k) plan with a company match, for instance.''

RETAIN employees? Since when has Tribune spent one nanosecond making that a consideration in any decision?

6. PeteyPirate

PeteyPirate Guest

Speaking as a lender who's in the midst of negotiations like this with at least two failing clients, we don't want anything to do with running a company. If this happens, it's the absolute last resort.

7. SF_Express

SF_Express Active Member

I'm all for Zell paying for what he has done to Tribune, but unfortunately, he might be deposed but still walk away with a lot of money as a top creditor, and who's to say the financial types who replace him are going to be any better at running a newspaper for the right reasons?

My answer to the second question is that it's likely to be no better and could well be worse.

So it'll be some satisfaction for a measure of discomfort for Zell, but could be little else.

8. Joe Williams

Joe Williams Well-Known Member

OK, well, I'll settle for that.

9. FishHack76

FishHack76 Active Member

[​IMG]
    What will he do with himself?

10. SixToe

SixToe Well-Known Member

Find something else to help "innovate?"

11. goalmouth

goalmouth Well-Known Member

This is what happens when the dipshits-in-charge think the keys to success are puppies and Columbo raincoats.

12. SixToe

SixToe Well-Known Member

Or kittens ... don't forget the kittens in Atlanta.

Please, think of the kittens.

Draft saved Draft deleted