1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

'Lena Dunham says she'll be "pretty emotional" when "Girls" ends'

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Dick Whitman, Jan 12, 2016.

1. jr/shotglass

jr/shotglass Well-Known Member

Lena Dunham was a good idea, but she went too far.

Lugnuts and dixiehack like this.
  2. doctorquant

doctorquant Well-Known Member

I bet it was a heritage breed, raised ethically, served with an organic this on a bed of non-GMO that.

JackReacher likes this.
  3. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

Your wife didn't ask me for anything.

MisterCreosote likes this.
  4. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

Lena Dunham's cures could cure cancer. Too bad Lena Dunham cries only when she masturbates.

5. dooley_womack1

Posting again before the Bank of Scotland thread crashes the Internet.

6. Double Down

Double Down Well-Known Member

I enjoyed Season 1 and 2 of GIRLS.

/ducking

lcjjdnh and JackReacher like this.
  7. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

I think I made it thru half of season 3 before I punched out.

8. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

It could put "The Wire" to shame for all I know. Regardless, she's a hideous human being. I don't mind when celebrities are politically engaged. If they have something to contribute, I welcome it. Lena Dunham doesn't have something to contribute. She practices feminism at about a fifth-grade level. Nonetheless, educated, intelligent, engaged people fawn on her, because she's famous, and seems to vaguely share their worldview, even if she expresses it in crayons. She doesn't make arguments. She issues broad sides. She's Donald Trump for liberal millennials. That this grotesque individual is what passes for a subversive in 2016 tells me what a sorry state the culture is in. And now she's the star of Hillary Clinton's embarrassing outreach to young voters. A child molester.

9. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

10. Double Down

Double Down Well-Known Member

The Trojan horse of GIRLS is that Dunham has essentially made a show that makes millennials look so much worse than any generational critic possibly could. Michael Patrick King & SJP thought they were making Carrie (and friends) people you wanted to root for in Sex and the City, but they made them soulless monsters accidentally, and never even realized it. Dunham purposefully made all her characters awful, immoral people and I kind of admire that. I suppose you could make the argument that Dunham is so tone deaf and unlikeable in real life, there is a lot more of her in Hannah that she realizes, but there is too much in there to suggest that she's trolling her own generation. I think she's a weird person, maybe even a sexual deviant, but she's not stupid and she makes interesting choices as a director and writer.

11. dooley_womack1

12. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

One of her most interesting choices as a writer was when she described in detail molesting her infant sister.

Draft saved Draft deleted