1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Len Bias — 20 years later

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Football_Bat, Jun 18, 2006.

1. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2006/06/18/AR2006061801051.html

2. Hed bust

Hed bust Guest

Dude was indeed awesome. He'd have been all-pro, in the NBA All-Star game had he kept a clear head.
    But maybe he'd have screwed up later, maybe two or three or five years into the league.
    Seems as though he was quiet and sort of a follower of the crowd, based on this one bad decision anyway.
    Had he gotten all that money, who knows what sort of poor decision he might have made later with drugs. Or maybe been involved in an accident like Petro was.
    A one-parent household wasn't it. (Not that that is a universal determinant of failure)
    You just never know.
    But he certainly had, in my mind and from having seen him play numerous times on TV, had much more of an upside to succeed in the League than the others mentioned on this thread like Gathers or Pearl Washington or Washburn or Kenny Walker, etc..
    And I loved those all-black unis that Maryland pulled out occasionally during his tenure.

3. 21

21 Well-Known Member

How did the Celtics have such a high draft pick that year?

4. 21 -- It was the result of a trade (with the then-pathetic SuperSonics, I believe.)

5. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

21 and FB: Had Seattle's pick after trading them Gerald Henderson. Red's last great swindle.

6. Yeah, sure, Michael. How's that workin; out for them now?
    (I seem to be channelling sports-radio this morning. Must be the heat.)

7. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

ABSOLUTELY, he was a lying, stupid, fucking weasel bitch.

I graduated from Maryland just as Bias entered and got to watch him play alot. I saw alot of ACC basketball in the early to mid 80s'. Bias was better than Jordan as a college basketball player, no question. He probably wouldn't have been as dominating a pro since Jordan handled the ball better farther away from the basket than Bias ever would, but Bias was a beast.

8. JackS

JackS Guest

Oh geez, there's an unbiased opinion, no pun intended. Bias was excellent in college and I think he would have been a very good pro, but some of the hyperbole on this thread is ridiculous. Comparing him to Jordan? (There's no "probably" in the statement that he wouldn't have been as dominating in the pros as Jordan. He wouldn't have been close.) Giving him league MVPs? Come on. He did have flaws. He wasn't a great ballhandler or an outside shooter, and he wasn't particularly big. His game in college was dunk, dunk, and dunk some more, which his amazing athleticism allowed him to do at that level. But as a pro prospect, he could almost be described as a power forward in a small forward's body.

I can see him being an all-star, but that's about it.

9. Webster

Webster Well-Known Member

Bias was in the top 5 college players that I have seen.  All that we have is speculation, but I think that he was a lock to be a regular on the All-Star team.

I'll never forget that he died on my last day of high school.

10. suburbanite

suburbanite Active Member

Yeah, there's some hyperbole on this thread, Jack S, but the truth is that Bias was really, really good and had BOTH talent and potential up the wazoo. Plus, he would have been going to a much better organization than a No. 2 overall pick usually goes to, so that probably would have helped his development.

I still remember all the pix of him in the Celtics cap on draft day. Those were run ad nauseam after he died, until it became pretty much like the 'death hat.'

11. PaseanaARG

PaseanaARG Guest

I wish we'd have seen more of Petrovic. I used to play with him on the "Bulls-Lakers" Genesis game, and dude could knock 'em down Chambers-style from outside. Damn.

12. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

I don't know if the things being said on this thread are hyperbole. It is speculation. There is no way to know. Sure, with the benefit of Jordan's career in the rear view mirror, it is ridiculous to compare him to Jordan, but when Jordan was drafted, people thought he was good, but they didn't know he was Jordan. I was graduating high school too, when Bias died. He was easily one of the five best college players I have seen in my lifetime. Again, this is speculation, but I actually think he had the potential to be an even better pro than college player, because he could run the floor with anybody. He wasn't a great ballhandler, but he was improving. Remember, Jordan wasn't a lights out outside shooter at first; not until he worked on it. Bias also was a monster rebounder. His game was made for the NBA--he had better size than Jordan, could jump like Jordan and Dominique Wilkins, got up and down the court as good as anybody and was an excellent rebounder. It's sad that we never got to see what he could have accomplished.

Draft saved Draft deleted