1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Leitch on Ebert

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Simon_Cowbell, Mar 2, 2010.

1. Point of Order

Point of Order Active Member

Ebert has to lurk on here, no?

2. Pilot

Pilot Well-Known Member

"You only write about us when we become major news stories"

(fwiw I think criticizing the timing is dumb.)

3. Fredrick

Fredrick Well-Known Member

I agree, sort of.
    The Leitch story really made me soul search and wonder how somebody like Leitch ever could have buried Ebert like that. Makes me wonder if Leitch was hitting the bottle at that time of his life or something.
    Seriously.
    Roger Fucking Ebert agrees to go to the U of Illinois and go to a pizza place for 3 hours with this guy and his college friends. Ebert should have been a hero of this Leitch forever.
    I don't see how (I know we all make mistakes, but geez) Leitch could ever turn on Ebert after that. I mean in my life I remember the little things, the kindness people show me along the way. What Ebert did for Leitch when Ebert was established and Leitch was a college kid should have made Ebert a hero to Leitch the rest of his life.
    At the same time, I was sort of moved by how Leitch tried to make amends in his own way by sending flowers, etc.
    It was worth reading as a study of human frailty.

4. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

Ebert's first tweet on this, at 7:27 ET Monday evening, was this:

Which, again, shows his character.

Also, if any of you are on Twitter and NOT following Ebert, correct that posthaste. Great writing, even in 140 characters or less, and tons of great links. One of my favorites to follow. Always interesting.

5. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Yes. And that is the way to continue taking the high ground when someone wounds you. Michael Wilbon take note.

6. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

Would love to be proven wrong, but I'd be shocked if that were true.

7. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Ebert has no love for sports.

8. Small Town Guy

Small Town Guy Well-Known Member

Yeah, yeah. You gave the same advice for following John Daly on Twitter too - I think you even used the phrase great writing there as well - and look where that ended up.

9. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

Sorry about him giving out your phone number. I didn't know he was going to use it that way when he said he got it off the truck stop bathroom wall.

Draft saved Draft deleted