1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Leitch leaves Deadspin for New York Magazine

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Small Town Guy, Jun 5, 2008.

1. a_rosenthal

a_rosenthal Guest

Simmons also wrote in... ESPN is pretty anti-Deadspin. Wonder how this will shake out.

2. Sly

Sly Active Member

Perhaps it is, but I can guarantee you someone else wrote that for him to read.

I stopped listening after the first 10 seconds, because I assumed it was a fake like the Ron Zook post earlier in the day.

3. Double Down

Double Down Well-Known Member

Every talked with SVP? Pretty smart guy. Pretty good writer. Really good sense of humor. Actually had Leitch on his radio show in the past, despite the Deadspin ban by ESPN management. Maybe Drew wrote it for him, but I doubt it. My money is on him writing it himself.

4. a_rosenthal

a_rosenthal Guest

The real question is.... Did that girl ever go out with SVP?

5. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

My point about these kinds of Internet writers, like Leitch and anyone else at Deadspin and The Big Lead, has always been this: Sooner or later, if you're a writer of any salt whatsoever, you want to test your abilities. You've got dreams in your head of what you can do, and you want to see if you measure up to them. Guys at Fire Joe Morgan have a day job, obviously, that allows them that: Writing on "The Office." But many bloggers do not. As the very well-written and honest piece in the NYT Magazine a few weeks ago from the Gawker blogger pointed out, there's something very insular and apersonal about taking clever shots at news somebody else reported. It's fun, in a way, and even profitable, but you're not really creating anything. You're not in the subject matter so much as you're standing outside it, commenting on the way you're standing.

Draft saved Draft deleted