1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Leinart, stupid or what?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by micropolitan guy, Aug 8, 2006.

1. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

Two years ago, he has a perfect reputation. once-time fat kid with bad eyes who became the star QB at the glamour school. Consistant winner, etc.

Last year he whines after losing to Texas, embraces the LA party scene, makes a drunken fool of himself at a post-Heisman party, glams on to a B-list celebrity Nick somebody. becomes the 4,000th notch in Paris Hilton's bedpost and now is holding out as the 10th pick in the draft, long after almost everyone else has signed.

Missing camp is always a great idea, especially for a quarterback who many already think has a marginal arm. Nice job of advising/representation by his agent (Tom Condon).

2. n8wilk

n8wilk Guest

Bit of a threadjack here, but in my mind, arm strength is one of the most overrated characteristics of NFL quarterbacks. Accuracy is far more important. Kyle Boller can thro the football through the goalposts from the 50, but he can't complete a 5-yard out. Likewise, Tom Brady has the arm of most college quarterbacks and yet he's one of the best in the NFL. Leinart, if he ever gets into camp and learns the offense, will be fine in the NFL. Especially with the weapons around him.

3. shockey

shockey Active Member

no biggie yet. he's not startong until at least midseason anyway. he's got time to sign and play in several exhibitions still.

4. goalmouth

goalmouth Well-Known Member

I'd be surprised if Leinart couldn't jump right in, what with so many QBs serving as caretakers for the offense. Favre could play another five years if he could get that through his head.

5. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

I just would have liked to have been in the room to watch the unintentional hilarity of Denny Green lecturing Leinart on women.

6. dog428

dog428 Active Member

I'm gonna disagree somewhat. I'm not saying arm strength is as important as accuracy, but it can make a huge difference. A QB with a cannon for an arm opens up a ton of possibilities for the offense and creates quite a few more headaches for the defense. For example, the DB on the wide side can't give as much of a cushion to the receiver on that side when the QB has a strong arm. And that DB playing up means a slight shift throughout the secondary.

Arm strength can't make up for a total lack of accuracy, but it can overcome accuracy problems. It's also a big help if your receivers suck ass.

7. busuncle

busuncle Member

I agree with all but the last part. NFL careers are short. Get as much money as you can, as early as you can.

8. Most guys on this board would would jump at the chance to be Paris 4,001 notch on the belt, so you cannot fault him for that.

9. Clubber_Slang

Clubber_Slang Active Member

jump out of a window to avoid the wratch of her steaming vile pinoch .... yes

10. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

That's probably true. Paris Hilton would be the "chance" of a lifetime for 99.999 of our malke posters.

But not so for Matt Leinart, who undoubtedly has a wide selection of other options, presumably with a lot less baggage, wear and tear, and the risks that accompany a rather promiscous lifestyle.

I also think he should sign and get his ass in camp. Rothlisberger could be a caretaker for the Steelers because their defense was so good. Not so for the Cardinals.

11. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

I think you two are vastly underrating the men on this board. I'm sure 80 percent of us have dated/hooked up with/married women better looking, more intelligent, less skeezy and much less famous than Paris Hilton.

12. sportschick

sportschick Active Member

But Paris has only slept with 2 guys in her whole entire life!

Right, and I'm a virgin.

Draft saved Draft deleted