1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Legendary racehorse John Henry dies at 32

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by FishHack76, Oct 9, 2007.

1. FishHack76

FishHack76 Active Member

One of America's legendary racehorses was euthanized on Monday night. Even if you're not into horse racing, his story is actually very fascinating. He earned his name because of his foul temper. He would stomp buckets flat with his feet like John Henry pounding railroad spikes. He was sold twice for $1,100 and $2,200 then gelded and sold again for $25,000.
    From there, John Henry amassed $6.5 million, won four Grade I stakes (including the first Arlington Million), was named Horse of the Year twice and won seven Eclipse Awards.

http://sports.espn.go.com/sports/horse/news/story?id=3055036

2. BYH

BYH Active Member

Re: John Henry dies at 32

I hope the Red Sox dedicate the rest of the season to him.

3. Angola!

Angola! Guest

Damn, I was hoping it was the Red Sox owner.
    Oh well.
    Go Indians.

4. BYH

BYH Active Member

Time to ratchet the fandom down a notch there, Angola.

5. FishHack76

FishHack76 Active Member

I changed the title to avoid any confusion. I think John Henry, the owner, is older than 32. He looks that way anyway.

6. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

Played up pretty big in one of our papers here in SoCal. Fascinating story. Won Horse Of The Year at 9. That's amazing.

7. Angola!

Angola! Guest

Sorry. It has been a long week for me in all aspects of my life and I thought this offered a glimmer of hope.

Fishhack76 - the Red Sox owner is in his 70s, I believe, which is why I thought this thread was about him.

8. Wow. Stay classy, Gola!

9. An effin stud if there ever was one.

10. Um, he's 58.

Also, yikes, dude. Actually, that doesn't do enough. If you feel like some dude dying offered your life a glimmer of hope because he owned a professional sports team you don't root for, then you've clearly got more issues than you're letting on...

Draft saved Draft deleted