1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Legendary Phillies announcer Harry Kalas dead at 73

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Wonderlic, Apr 13, 2009.

1. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

"...And that guy is outta here!"
    I mean that in the most respectful way possible. Like others, his voice and calls are the first I think of when picturing an announcer. As a kid, I remember getting pissed when Andy Musser would take over in the middle innings. And hearing him call the final out of last year's World Series gave me goosebumps.
    I also got his autograph once when he was leaving the Vet after a game. He seemed amused that anybody would want it.
    RIP, Harry. Phillies games, NFL Films and the Puppy Bowl will never be the same.

2. Shoeless Joe

Shoeless Joe Active Member

I guess Heaven needed one of the greatest voices ever

3. Gutter

Gutter Well-Known Member

What a sad day. What a voice.

Hell, he made the Puppy Bowl exciting.

RIP, Harry.

4. Captain_Kirk

Captain_Kirk Well-Known Member

RIP to one of the true giants of the industry.

5. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

An infinitely sad and terrible loss for any Phillies fan and baseball in general. A loss of a good man as well as a memorable announcer.
    All my best wishes, and I'm sure those of every Phillies fan, to his family.

6. To reiterate what I posted on the thread started on the Journalism Topics board.

Woah. I was just flipping channels a few minutes ago and saw the Cubs-Rockies game was in a rain delay. They were just talking about Harry not getting to call the Phillies' World Series clincher in 1980 due to MLB's broadcast contracts at the time, but how he got to call last year's. I must have flipped away before they mentioned he had died.

I'm glad he not only had a chance to enjoy that moment, but also to enjoy all last week's festivities, including getting to throw out the first ball (I THINK it was in Wednesday's game, no?).

RIP Harry.

EDIT: After reading the above link, I noticed that he died preparing to call today's Phils game in Washington. Seems the only way for a broadcaster of his caliber to go out. Sigh!!!! :( Another great voice (to join Harry (Caray, that is), Skip, Red Barber, Mel Allen and several others) to call some of those great ball games beyond the cornfield.

7. shotglass

shotglass Guest

Tom McCarthy and Chris Wheeler are keeping it together exceptionally well on what must be a tough day for them.

8. Jesus_Muscatel

Jesus_Muscatel Well-Known Member

One of my brothers has worked for the Phils since the mid-80s.

Dad was already at the game in D.C. when the news came down, so I talked to Mom.

Mr. Halas had an unbelievable passion for the Phillies, for baseball, and was the closest thing to the NFL Films "Voice of God" since John Facenda's passing. An outstanding broadcaster.

RIP, Harry.

9. Castaway

Castaway New Member

Wow...just watched the Phillies/Rockies game yesterday and I can't believe that's the last time I'll ever hear Harry call a ball "outta here". He had one of the great voices, simple as that. It's a huge loss. RIP Harry.

10. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

Kalas is as much a voice of NFL Films as John Facenda was, maybe more so given his longevity.

RIP to one of the most distinctive ever.

11. Trey Beamon

Trey Beamon Active Member

I spent part of my youth living in the Philly suburbs, and Harry Kalas all but introduced me to baseball.

What memories, especially the World Series run in 1993. What a voice.

RIP.

12. Trouser_Buddah

Trouser_Buddah Active Member

I feel great sadness with the passing of Harry, having listened to him mostly in football but occasionally doing baseball. What a great voice.

I can only imagine how devastating the day will be for me when Bob Uecker signs off for the last time... :(

Draft saved Draft deleted