1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Legalization? An Insult-Free Discussion

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by alleyallen, Jul 27, 2006.

?

Should marijuana be legalized in the United States?

1. Yes

45 vote(s)
    68.2%
  2. Only for medical reasons

14 vote(s)
    21.2%
  3. No

7 vote(s)
    10.6%
  1. If they're voting or answering a survey question, there should be no stigma involved, right?

2. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

I support legalization, and I don't smoke.
    Now I feel like insulting someone.
    Maybe it's because I'm high.

3. Piotr Rasputin

Piotr Rasputin New Member

I don't smoke. Except maybe when it comes out of my ears while answering calls from parents who say "every kid out there works hard" and then again when such calls lead to mandated 15-inch feature stories.

Anyway, I voted yes. I always thought that if it were legal, the government can regulate it, ensure that the stuff that is out there is as "clean" as can be, without being laced with anything the horror stories tell kids. Seems there's a LOT of money to be made in legalization, so why not?  

4. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

You're right. But a survey of college-educated adults would likely lead to similar results.

My grandfather, a retired carpenter, would never support legalizing dope for any reason. My 65-year-old mother, an SMU grad, support medical marijuana use.

5. Lugnuts

Lugnuts Well-Known Member

Throwing this out there... If it were to become legal, what percentage pot-smokers in their 20s and 30s could be trusted not to smoke around kids and pregnant women?

6. alleyallen

alleyallen Guest

You'd think so, but the way society looks at anyone who voices support of marijuana legalization is very definitely negative. Their first thought is automatically, "He wants it legalized because he's a pothead."

7. alleyallen

alleyallen Guest

Probably the same percentage of cigarette smokers in their 20s and 30s who could be trusted not to smoke around kids and pregnant women.

8. Lugnuts

Exactly. It's hard to walk down a city street without inhaling cigarette smoke. And you see parents smoking cigarettes around their kids all the time.

I really don't want to go to the mall and see parents walking around with a joint hanging out of their mouths.

9. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

That'd come into play in the way the law is written. It could be worded so it's only legal (or decriminalized) to use in your private residence when there are no minors present.

10. Lugnuts

That was a great post. Please don't nuke.. :(

11. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

I've got a very good friend from high school who could be that guy, minus the daughter. Funny thing, he never really "experimented" with alcohol. Pretty much started with pot when we were in high school and went from there. One of the smartest kids I knew when we started high school too. A lot of people thought he'd be the kid who would write a computer program he could sell to the whole world.

Didn't really work out that way.

12. Pastor

Pastor Active Member

What is the percentage of parents that smoke while they are pregnant?
    What is the percentage of parents that drink while they are pregnant?
    What is the percentage of parents that don't properly air out a room while painting when they are pregnant?
    What is the percentage of parents that own guns before they have kids and don't get rid of them afterwards?
    What is the percentage of parents that think a great idea for a 2 or 3-year old is to show them Passion of the Christ?
    What is the percentage of parents that physically assault their kids?
    What is the percentage of parents that...

Yeah, the list goes on and on and on. Lots of "What if..." in there. I'm all fine and dandy with protecting kids, but you don't protect kids by saying, "In this particular instance it could be harmful, thus we must keep it illegal for everyone at everytime."

Matamoros Blues, who is to say that marijuana did that to "Tom?" What is to say that Tom wasn't just a lazy SOB to begin with and marijuana was just his excuse? Who is to say anything? If it wasn't marijuana it could have been something else, like mothballs?

Link to story about kids using mothballs.

Draft saved Draft deleted