1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Leesburg Lightning at Deland Suns

Discussion in 'Writers' Workshop' started by cstefanisko, Jun 23, 2011.

1. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

The OP covers the same audience a newspaper does, except for scouts. If a scout really pays attention on what you write, that scout should be fired.

2. cstefanisko

cstefanisko New Member

You're right to an extent, it would be poor of a scout to just read this story and make a decision. However, it is good press for that particular player which I think is a good thing.

3. cstefanisko

cstefanisko New Member

Definitely need some quotes, but I didn't go on the field or wait around after the game as I'm not officially writing for this team. This was kind of a practice for me, and I really enjoyed it.

4. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Well, to be honest, you fell into the trap of a lot of young writers.

What you saw and thought was so interesting that with your writing skills, there is no need to talk to anyone.

I can understand you didn't want to go around being a bother if you were just practicing, but you should practice like you play.

5. dkphxf

dkphxf Member

I'll throw in my thoughts: What was the true story of the game? Is it a relief pitcher who posted four scoreless innings in a 5-0 loss or was it the Suns' offense stinking once again? (Hint: You'll really know when it's a relief pitcher.)

Every game story should focus on why something happened. It's been taught to me this way: Let's say you've got a friend who is an intelligent fan of the team you're covering. What does he/she want to know? For example, why couldn't the Suns hit the Leesburg pitcher? Was he just that good? Were they missing their best hitter? Do they just suck offensively? Are they having trouble adapting to wood bats?

Sometimes it's difficult to figure out, but those postgame quotes help a lot, though. I imagine once you're around these guys for a while that it'll be easy to figure out.

Draft saved Draft deleted