1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Lee demands massive paycut from P-D union

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by RickStain, Jun 3, 2009.

1. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

A lot of these fuckers are in heaven -- all their little robber-baron fantasies have come true, they can tell the employees literally anything they want, and most of them have to bend over and take it.

2. Andy _ Kent

Andy _ Kent Member

Just sprayed my laptop screen with Cherry Coke Zero on that one. ;D ;D ;D

3. BitterYoungMatador2

BitterYoungMatador2 Well-Known Member

That list should be placed on the desk of every J-School student with a caption at the top that reads, "A glimpse at your future."

4. Fredrick

Fredrick Well-Known Member

I agree. The union should tell them to close shop. This is disgraceful. I repeat ... how can any JSchool remain in business??? It is criminal to tell college kids this is a legitimate career choice.

5. I Digress

I Digress Guest

The 23 percent pay cut, combined with 5 percent medical increase equals a 28 percent pay cut.
    I think the union should send this proposal to whatever federal agency regulates the workplace, because I'm pretty sure the unlimited, unpaid overtime is against federal law.

6. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

The company I work for is a frequent whipping boy on here, but they've never proposed anything half as bad as this.

7. Joe Williams

Joe Williams Well-Known Member

The only thing worse than shutting down that place completely is reaching some sort of settlement and having an entire workforce wise to what pricks they're working for.

What the newsroom will be left with is either people who have been ground into submission overall and are in permanent cower mode (a serious loss to the industry) or people who would stick a shiv in their bosses' backs if they knew they wouldn't be caught (another problem, if somewhat less serious).

8. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

Not that it will ever happen, but I would love it if the P-D's editors listed these demands in print, and ripped them to pieces, one by one, in an editorial.

Just to embarrass Lee. And maybe, to inform the public what type of company is putting out their daily newspaper.

9. Fredrick

Fredrick Well-Known Member

I really like Joe's posts. Good description of what will be happening.

10. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

Bite the hand that feeds you? The editorial board is probably more concerned with sucking up to Lee than it cares about the rank and file employees.

11. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

Like I said, not that it will ever happen.

Draft saved Draft deleted