1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Lee demands massive paycut from P-D union

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by RickStain, Jun 3, 2009.

1. Frank_Ridgeway

Frank_Ridgeway Well-Known Member

Well, it is a contract proposal. Right now that's all it is.

I can remember, in better times, some demands by the Guild that I certainly would have enjoyed, but never believed for a second that the company would agree to them. And it didn't.

In the late 1980s, I recall the Guild suggesting an item that, because I worked nights and weekends, would have resulted in me getting something like a 70 percent raise and 10 weeks of time off per year. I was not exactly hurrying to book two months in Maui, I knew it wasn't gonna happen.

They start with something ridiculous and then compromise eventually. The company can't possibly believe people can absorb a 23 percent cut without losing their homes and cars.

2. spup1122

spup1122 New Member

Mary Junck should die in a fire. Enjoy your million dollar bonus while you continue cutting wages and laying off employees, stupid fucking bitch.

3. 21

21 Well-Known Member

How elegant.

4. spup1122

spup1122 New Member

Ever been laid off then find out two days later the CEO received a seven-figure bonus? No? OK, thanks.

I know people who have. By her and her company.

And I appreciate your opinion. I'll give it the consideration it deserves.

5. sgreenwell

sgreenwell Well-Known Member

I made $12/hour as a sports reporter doing pagination twice a week at a small weekly chain. I made more the previous summer working at Dunkin' Donuts once tips were factored in. So, yeah, I'll echo that fast food pays more than journalism at this point. Much, much easier to get laid though not working at a fast food place, which counts for a lot. (Just sayin'.)

6. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

The. Company. Doesn't. Give. A. Shit.

In fact, the company WANTS people to storm out and quit -- saves them the problem of layoffs and unemployment benefits (if you voluntarily quit, you are SOL on unemployment).

Plus, however many quit, they can go hire some unemployed J-school grads to do their job at one-third the pay rate

7. tapintoamerica

tapintoamerica Well-Known Member

Starman is right on the money. They're trying to chase out as many 40-somethings and 50-somethings as possible.

8. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

The whole point of the union is the ability to ignore these demands. Frank is right, they're just an opening bid. The union's opening bid should be "No" followed by silence.

9. Joe Williams

Joe Williams Well-Known Member

They can erect as many straw men as they'd like for their "opening bid," understanding that most of them will get knocked down in negotiating. But any management body that even thinks along the lines of wanting the right to suspend workers for three days without cause is a management body that is royally fucked up.

They have to be screwheads just to put that on their wildest-dreams wish list. Might as well just put on there -- in creepy individual letters clipped out of newspapers and magazines, then pasted into a demand like a movie sicko -- that they want the right to skewer on a meat hook the first born of every employee.

How do these rat bastards sit around and come up with this stuff? How pressing of an issue is it to arbitrarily and without cause suspend workers that you'd commit that to a proposal and risk offending the entire unit? It comes down to how these fuckfaces' minds work, when they ought to be burning the midnight rubber trying to save the industry rather than dicking with the union.

10. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

Fuck you Lee. Even if its an opening bargaining salvo, it's pure bullshit.

11. Rusty Shackleford

Rusty Shackleford Active Member

I would negotiate this one, if it could be replaced as quoted:

• The right to suspend employees for up to three days without “just cause”

-- The right for employees to kick CEO in nads, "just because"

12. Barsuk

Barsuk Active Member

Ready for the scary part? It's probably not even in the top five. Certainly not top three. And that's horrifying.

Draft saved Draft deleted