1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Lede is a Wie bit off

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by shotglass, Oct 12, 2006.

1. shotglass

shotglass Guest

Here's what we have to expect for LPGA ledes over the next few years.

<cm+bd>By DOUG FERGUSON <cm-bd>Ž
    <cm+bd>AP Golf Writer <cm-bd>Ž
    <cm-bd>¶
    PALM DESERT, Calif. (AP) — Michelle Wie didn’t exactly steal the show Thursday at the Samsung World Championship. <cm-bd>¶
    If anything, she held it up. <cm-bd>¶
    Starting her second year as a pro, Wie took a half-hour to play the 14th hole at Bighorn with two rulings, a whiff, an unplayable lie from a desert bush and a shot off the cement cart path just to get back to the fairway. She wound up with a quadruple-bogey 8 on the shortest par 4 at Bighorn, sending her to a 2-over 74. <cm-bd>¶
    The real show belonged to some familiar names on the LPGA Tour — Lorena Ochoa and Annika Sorenstam. <cm-bd>¶
    Both waited endlessly along the back nine for the Wie rulings, although it hardly affected their games. Ochoa fired off four birdies in five holes, and Sorenstam caught up with her in the final holes as both finished at 67. <cm-bd>¶
    Sophie Gustafson powered her way to a 68, tied with Seon-Hwa Lee, who already has won the LPGA rookie of the year award. <cm-bd>¶

Uh ... WHO was in the lead, again?

2. imjustagirl2

imjustagirl2 New Member

It's the first day of a tournament. Someone played a half-hour hole. If someone didn't lead with Van de Velde back then, they were stupid.

It's in the fourth graf. I'm fine with it.

3. shotglass

shotglass Guest

Well, you shoulda told me before I rewrote the lede. ;)

4. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

5. It's women's golf. Nobody cares who's winning. They only care about Wie and Sorenstam.

6. Leo Mazzone

Leo Mazzone Member

and Natalie Gulbis

[​IMG]

7. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

How did you get a picture of my caddie?

8. dawgpounddiehard

dawgpounddiehard Active Member

Now that's how to start your day.

9. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

They must have done a lot of makeup work with her. She looks nowhere near that good up close.

10. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

Yeah, but that ass must look just as good up close. Tremendous.

11. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Funny, shot.

I read the story in the paper and wanted more detail of how Wie's bad hole went so awry.

I don't really care who is leading the tournament.

12. Lugnuts

Lugnuts Well-Known Member

Shottie, I can't believe how much I'm disagreeing with you lately. It's uncanny.

I liked it, thought it was creative... it held me.

And I don't have much of an attention span these days, particularly not for LPGA.

Draft saved Draft deleted