1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Led Zep to tour, but ...

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by 2muchcoffeeman, Oct 28, 2008.

1. Rough Mix

Rough Mix Guest

You've mentioned the money thing a couple of times now. I know Page has sold some of his art collection and antique furniture, but that's common for collectors to do. With the catalogue and merchandise royalties still coming in I would think he'd have a steady flow of cash. Did he get involved in some deals that went bad? He recently turned down a Guitar Hero deal, which must've been worth something. I'm just curious.

2. Piotr Rasputin

Piotr Rasputin New Member

Wait a minute . . . . how does "Dork nobody lead singer from band that once did a song for WWE is being used as bait to get Plant to realize he should step in and save this tour from sucking" lead to "fueled speculation that Kennedy will be forming a new band with the members of Led Zeppelin"?

I saw Plant 15 years ago. He was solid, but even then, seemed . . . old, in a way that none of the dudes in their late-50s I've seen over the past year have been. If he says no, then there is no Led Zeppelin tour. And if Pagey is fixing to go out on the road and play Led Zeppelin tunes at half- to two-thirds speed with a singer not named Robert Plant, then he may as well just play Radioactive and Shake My Tree, and this Zeppelin fan may as well stay home and listen to his bootleg of Long Beach 1975.

3. Rough Mix

Rough Mix Guest

I'd see them if Plant was there, but with the new guy, no way.

This clip is from a CMT show that was mentioned on a thread a while back. The song starts around the 4:50 mark. I believe he's still on tour supporting the album. This would be a fun show to see.

http://www.cmt.com/videos/misc/207273/cmt-crossroads-robert-plant-and-alison-krauss-black-dog.jhtml?id=1580892

4. Never got the Zep. Never will.
    But, without Plant?
    They're the 2008 equivalent of West, Bruce, and Laing, which was neither Cream nor Mountain.

5. Rough Mix

Rough Mix Guest

Oh, you had a favorite Led Zep song...

6. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

KITTEH! :eek:

7. Rough Mix

Rough Mix Guest

Hey, in his previous life he said so :D

8. patchs

patchs Active Member

On Saturday, XM/Sirius are starting up a Led Zep channel.

9. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

Zep touring with Plant is like Jaws without the shark. You can find a badass drummer to replicate John Bonham easier than finding someone to sub for Plant who wrote the book as a hard-rock shouter.

I've been a big fan of Plant's solo stuff too, especially his debut, Pictures At Eleven, which still sounds great today.

10. bostonbred

bostonbred Guest

Kennedy would do a fine job, but Page needs to throw a offer out that Plant can't refuse and get him on board for one last hurrah.

11. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

Mizzougrad has no idea why he just belted out "IT'S BEEN A LONG TIME SINCE I ROCK AND ROLLED! IT'S BEEN A LONG TIME SINCE I DID THE STROLL!"

12. Piotr Rasputin

Piotr Rasputin New Member

Been a couple weeks since this news, but the final nail in any tour's coffin:

http://www.musicradar.com/news/guitars/led-zeppelin-are-over-says-jimmy-pages-manager-190946

Draft saved Draft deleted