1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

LeBron to Greece in 2010?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by GBNF, Aug 4, 2008.

1. GBNF

GBNF Well-Known Member

If LeBron does jump overseas, how big of a story is it?
    Biggest story of the year?
    Biggest story of the decade?
    Realistically, the chances of this are somewhere between .0001 and .0002 percent, but if some crazy billionaire team owner decides to give it a go, he'd have to at least listen, no? Would lose out on the Nike deal, could increase his celebrity overseas and have ridiculous leverage coming back to the NBA.

That is, if his plan wasn't just to be the CEO of Def Jam all along. Then he'll go to the Nets.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2008/writers/ian_thomsen/08/01/lebron.greece/index.html

2. MU_was_not_so_hard

MU_was_not_so_hard Active Member

I was reading something on this a couple days ago. There's absolutely no salary cap over there for most of the leagues. If one of those owners simply wanted to see if he could get an American audience to pay attention to his team, there's no stopping them.
    And I'm not so sure Nike would take all its money off the table. That would be another market(s) -- Greece, Turkey, Italy -- Nike wants to further crack.

3. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

$40 million a year net? That would be insane.

Hell, I could see Nike encouraging him to do it just to get him out of Cleveland.

4. schiezainc

schiezainc Well-Known Member

But according to Drew Carey, Cleveland rocks!

5. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

I love going to Cleveland. But I guarantee you Nike would be salivating at the possibility of putting James on a team close to the NYC market.

6. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

Not Greece. One of the better Italian or French teams, maybe, or perhaps Real Madrid.

But in all honesty, somebody like Lebron James or Kobe Bryant would be too expensive in the prime of their careers for a European team to consider unless a shoe company kicks in big money to help out.

7. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

cleveland needs to go back to the ehlo-era orange unis. i liked those.

8. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

LeBron will probably use Greece just like every other NBA star has used Mark Cuban over the years. To drive up his own value and get an even sweeter deal elsewhere. This goes on all the time; Europe is just an added wrinkle.

9. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

Not possible. There's a maximum salary. The Cavs will offer it two seconds after his contract expires. The contract's probably already written up.

10. Boomer7

Boomer7 Active Member

There's a maximum salary in Greece? You sure about that?

11. JakeandElwood

JakeandElwood Well-Known Member

Right, LeBron has always been a max player. A Greek suitor can't add NBA value unless it's through guaranteed perks like access to a private jet etc. in the contract.

12. JakeandElwood

JakeandElwood Well-Known Member

I believe he's saying that there is a max contract in the NBA, therefore he can't use Greece to leverage more money contractually from the NBA.

Draft saved Draft deleted