1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Lebron Not Ready for Prime Time

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Boom_70, Jul 10, 2010.

1. SportsDude

SportsDude Active Member

He would have been ripped no matter what because of the dog-and-pony show, but not to this extent.

2. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

He's going to get all the love in New York that Manny got at Yankee Stadium

3. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

Felt sleazy, to be sure, but the ratings for the dog and pony show pretty much explain why there was a dog and pony show.

And assuming he took trips to places he really had no intention of playing in and postponing his announcement until the last minute (still a very big assumption, btw), he's doing exactly what high school football recruits do every January and February. He got his taste of it this time, 'cause he didn't get to play the switching hats routine as a high school senior.

This stuff has been way too overanalyzed.

4. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

I really hope there are more free agency specials in the future. We already have the drafts and the draft lotteries on TV. Why is this different?

5. Stoney

Stoney Well-Known Member

Sorry, but he would not have been ripped anywhere near this if he'd chosen Cleveland. That was the sentimental choice. Cleveland was the underdog city of the bunch. Most people I knew were hoping for Cleveland, and I don't live near Cleveland.

He might've gotten ripped by some disgruntled folks in NY, Chicago and Miami, but most of the country would've understood and looked favorably upon that decision. Certainly more so than this one.

6. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

Because this was focused on just one player.

7. Point of Order

Point of Order Active Member

Not hard. But to annoy 4 or 5 threads on the same subject I'm not interested in is a little annoying.

8. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

Lebron is getting ripped for the way he handled he handled his departure.

Anyone who follows pro sports knows that player movement is part of the landscape.

Brett Favre, Manny, A Rod, Clemens and now Lebron all created a circus and all ended up turning their good names to crap.

9. Boom_70

Then what possessed you to open this thread?

10. Point of Order

Point of Order Active Member

I wanted to share my displeasure. I thought that was encouraged here.

11. Boom_70

These guys just don't get it. Big Deal they each gave up 10 mil from a 100 mil contract in a state income tax free state:

“It’s about sacrifice now,” Wade said.

James, Bosh and Wade all signed six-year contracts. The value of James and Bosh’s deals is nearly $111 million, while Wade took around $107 million. They could have received about $125.5 million apiece if they had taken the maximum value allowed under the current collective bargaining agreement.

“What we signed for is not important,” James said Friday night at Miami’s welcome celebration. “One thing that is important is we all sacrificed money, sacrificed a lot of things to be a part of this. But what we signed for is not important. What we’re going to do this coming fall is what’s most important.”

12. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

That press conference John Elway called to announce he refused to play for Baltimore certainly killed his career.

Draft saved Draft deleted