1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

LeBron and No. 23

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by qtlaw, Mar 2, 2010.

1. qtlaw

qtlaw Well-Known Member

So he changes to No. 6. Big deal. However, there was no need. Yes MJ was an icon for the 80's and 90's but time has shown that he's just about the rings and the money so I'm not in favor of any Jackie Robinson treatment for his number/legacy.

MJ is an arrogant pr*ck who has not been an upstanding husband/family man nor someone who has done anything for society in general. (Notice parallel with Tiger.)

2. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

Of course there was a need. How else were they going to market new jerseys to a dopey public?

And next year, he can pay homage to Bill Russell and Dr. J and switch to number 32.

3. Point of Order

Point of Order Active Member

So is LeBron

4. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

I'd rather the number on his jersey change than the team name.

Not like he's a trendsetter here. MJ did it. Kobe did it. Even fucking Joe Girardi did it.

5. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

When I was a kid you could not buy a jersey with a number and a player's name.

And nobody ever changed numbers back then.

What a coincidence.

6. spnited

spnited Active Member

Dr. J wore 32 in college and the ABA

7. zagoshe

zagoshe Well-Known Member

Yes, it is horrible that a star athlete's No. 1 concern was winning championships.... ::)

8. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

Follow the money, guys ... both LeBron and Jordan are Nike guys. It's gotta be the shoes. Wouldn't surprise me to see all this is guided by the swoosh.

9. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

I have a very, very early memory of seeing Dr. J play for the Nets. I was probably about 5. I didn't take note of his number. :)

10. Sooooo, Point of order,

Please tell me where the evidence is that LeBron is an arrogant prick who's not an upstanding citizen and not an upstanding family man. In fact, tell me anything, other than snapping pics with his teammates, or throwing chalk in the air, that points to anything other than LeBron being a solid citizen. Give me any evidence to back up your claim.

11. Bodie_Broadus

Bodie_Broadus Active Member

Yeah, I am hoping to hear his reasoning.

12. Small Town Guy

Small Town Guy Well-Known Member

Well, the sideline antics are really annoying.

Adrian Woj's take.

http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/news?slug=aw-lebronjordan030210&prov=yhoo&type=lgns

Draft saved Draft deleted