1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Lebron ad nauseam, squared

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by clutchcargo, Jul 7, 2010.

1. clutchcargo

clutchcargo Active Member

I can't tell which is more hilarious---that we get an hour-long ESPN special Thursday night in which King Loser announces which team he is going to, or that in a cursory search on this web site I couldn't find where anyone else had posted about this.

(If I missed it, I apologize to all of you Type A's waiting to pounce on anyone for the sacrilege of double posting a topic. I apologize for the 3 seconds it took for you to click on this post and go ballistic.)

2. Harry Doyle

Harry Doyle Member

Do I understand correctly that ESPN is giving money to LeBron's charity of choice for the privilege of airing the special?

3. Small Town Guy

Small Town Guy Well-Known Member

There's nothing separate on it, but we've been talking about it for several pages over on the NBA off-season thread.

4. Point of Order

Point of Order Active Member

Is it possible for someone, in this day and age, to actually overplay his hand and go a bit too far with the hype? Is there any way this could backfire? My better angel says yes, that people will see through this pretentiousness and lose esteem for LeBron because of it. But that is probably a naive take in today's society.

5. clutchcargo

clutchcargo Active Member

What if Lebron gets on TV and announces he has a deal with, say, the Knicks, and then Knicks deny that any deal has been finalized.

6. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

Or if David Aldredge reports the deal an hour after LeBron.

7. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Fixed.

8. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

But ESPN says, with a straight face, it's not paying for the announcement.

9. Den1983

Den1983 Active Member

Commercial proceeds go to Boys and Girls clubs of America, which was his choice.

10. Harry Doyle

Harry Doyle Member

What if, say, the New York Times said LeBron could make his announcement exclusively on their pages, and all ad revenue in the section that day went to the Boys and Girls Clubs?

Would that be ethical?

11. flexmaster33

flexmaster33 Well-Known Member

What if LeBron has decided to go to college and is announcing he will play next season at Kentucky :)

12. Harry Doyle

Harry Doyle Member

Michigan State. He wanted to play for Izzo.

And I think this is the definitive take on ESPN/LeBron: http://deadspin.com/5581889/lebron-james-is-a-cocksucker

Draft saved Draft deleted