1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

LeBatard column on the media

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by jaredk, Nov 29, 2007.

1. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

With a caveat.

I am not saying that it's fair that the current Miami program has a thug reputation or that these players/coaches did anything to warrant it, but past programs reveled in it and they are still paying for it.

2. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

But the point is, most major programs have stars from rough upbringings who have problems shaking free. Sean Taylor could have picked FSU, LSU, or hell, even Missouri, and the same outcome could have occurred with him. Being a Hurricane didn't kill him.

3. Simon_Cowbell

Simon_Cowbell Active Member

First, much of it comes to the issue of character. Second, Robertson barely scratched the surface of how much UM players/products are involved in a) illegality or b) tragedy.

And there are degrees of illegality. Certainly driving 80 mph in a 35 and crashing into a tree is "less" illegal than shooting someone to death at a Plantation apartment.

But the list of documented reckless driving incidents involving these young men, added to the incidents of other illegal conduct, added to incidents of assault and/or tragic death, is jaw-droppingly long.

Whether it involves having too many kids who are so lacking in self-awareness to think they are invincible and can hop away from a car wreck, or kids with a more sinister core or set of surroundings, UM has utterly failed to well-enough incorporate character into its football signing process.

Before someone says it ain't a UM thing, show me a pile of incidents related to a single other college that is remotely close.

Reading this column, I wish two things: a) that Taylor had been white and b) he hadn't gone to UM.

That way, Le Batard never would have written this pile of disingenuity.

4. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

Saying UM is rotten because of auto accidents is absurd. And does Buster Rhymes and Jamele Holloway and Barry Switzer and gunplay ring any bells? How about Sal Aunese and gang affiliations and whores for recruits and sexual harassment of a female kicker? And shoe shopping sprees? And the reports throughout the season from several teams of players stealing things? Yeah, the Canes are unique, all right. ::)

Bottom line: Sean Taylor could have gone to frickin' BYU and still come to this same end.

5. He wouldn't have any more idea than a goat about the specific circumstances of the specific crime.

6. Jemele Hill

Jemele Hill Member

Guess we didn't learn as much from Duke lacrosse as I thought. Just as that case became about overprivileged, white athletes, this one is becoming about Boyz In The Hood -- nevermind that Sean Taylor grew up middle class and went to an exclusive prep school in Miami.

I completely understand LeBatard's point. Seems like we just don't feel comfortable saying, what we don't know, or finding out through real reporting what's true and isn't. The knife and phone fabrications didn't pan out to be some mafioso execution. Now we have Antrel Rolle, who admitted he had talked to his friend in awhile, but somehow knew he was fearing for his life. Seems to me that if he feels that strongly he should be talking to the police. Kinda odd a guy would be living in fear, but yet his security system wasn't even on. Hmm.

FACT: The police believe it was random and Sean Taylor didn't know his attacker.

But let's just run with our theories instead....

7. Cousin Jeffrey

Cousin Jeffrey Active Member

If he wasn't living in fear, shouldn't he have been? His house was broken into a week prior, he's got enemies. I have no enemies and I'd a little itchy at my place getting robbed. He kept a machete under his bed like he's Mick Dundee. I'd listen to what Antrel Rolle had to say just as much as I'd listen to the cops with their ear to the ground.

8. Joe Williams

Joe Williams Well-Known Member

". . . Objectivity, the alleged bedrock of this profession, is both the excuse we hide under and a lie.

There are slants and shades in everything you read, hear and see as the line between Chris Wallace and Keith Olbermann and Bill O'Reilly and Katie Couric and Geraldo Rivera becomes blurred and smeared as entertainaournalism. Asking emotional humans, with all their embedded prejudices and experiences and baggage, to be without bias (conscious or subconscious) is like asking night not to be dark. All we can do is aspire to clinical objectivity as professionals and hope that too many people don't get trampled and harmed when we inevitably fail."

What a bunch of malarkey. This is a guy who feeds the beasts daily in several media platforms, and usually works quite happily without having all the "facts." If LeBatard is so hung up on only working with facts, why is he writing an opinion column? Why isn't he dedicating his career to being an investigative reporter, uncovering hard news stories based entirely on facts?

And he's setting up straw men when he throws out the names of a bunch of TV commentators and then holds them up as an example of how tilted journalism has gotten. I'll bet the real news reporters at the Miami Herald don't appreciate being lumped in with Geraldo when DLB grouses about "his" profession.

Bottom line, Dan wouldn't be able to make his multifaceted lucrative living if he held himself to his blowhard standard here of only working with facts. And really, if all anyone read or listened to or watched was straight factual reporting, why would we even need opinion people (columnists and commentators)? This is like getting mad that chiropractors and faith healers don't use scalpels, anesthesia or radiation.

9. Simon_Cowbell

You've never been to Richmond Heights either.

I wouldn't suggest you do a tour, as purty as you are and all that, but if you do, then you can toss that misinfo around.

10. Simon_Cowbell

BTW, what column did you write about Duke lacrosse a couple days after the story broke?

11. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

Further agreement from me. Plus, and not to be flippant about this subject, but we know the thug culture at Miami has eased somewhat because the team they have now, well, sucks.

12. Kevin Morales

Kevin Morales Member

Yes, LeBatard is an ESPN "talking head" and he didn't do any reporting for this column, but I think his fundamental message is right on. Seems like more people are attacking LeBatard for who he is than are genuinely disagreeing with what he's saying.

Draft saved Draft deleted