1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Leaving without a job lined up?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by TopNotch1127, Jan 14, 2008.

1. Danny Noonan

Danny Noonan Member

I've done it twice and am always open to doing it again if I'm put in a no-win spot...wouldn't advise it unless you've got a really nice rainy day fund built up and are prepared to ride it out and leave the business for a while. Fortunately, I have the good rainy day fund, which makes it a lot easier.

2. PTOWN

PTOWN Member

Well I work 40 hours a week I'm just not considered full-time. I'm pretty sure just about every mid-sized daily and up does this. And I could easily move out if I wanted to, but my parents like having me around. I guess your parents are just dicks.

3. forever_town

forever_town Well-Known Member

No, Angola! said his parents might take him back but encourage him to move out incessantly.

They'd be dicks if they left him on the streets to die.

4. KuwaitLady

KuwaitLady New Member

Exercise patience in seeking employment. Maybe, you should have had a job lined up. Any way, NOTHING beats FAMILY, and being around FAMILY. When any thing goes wrong or you're in need of help, it's your FAMILY that normally comes to the rescue. A family that prays together, stays together. It's more than likely a big deal for your parents to have you back in the fold. Jobs are nice, family is better! ;)

5. Angola!

Angola! Guest

Your parents must really, really enjoy your company to let you live with them for two years especially when you are old enough and financially stable enough to move out.
    I just think it is an unnecessary burden to place on your parents when they might like to live a little too.

6. mike311gd

mike311gd Active Member

I heard a different rendition of that one. But it did involve loving your family. ...

7. mike311gd

mike311gd Active Member

My parents set a September deadline for me to be out of the house -- no questions. I applied seemingly everywhere without a bite. Finally I landed a part-time job in early August, then snatched a full-time spot out of state and got the fuck out of there. It took my parents and I about two years to bury the hatchet. (No offense, Native Americans.) They were dicks at the time, but meant well ... if you know what I mean.

8. indiansnetwork

indiansnetwork Active Member

Say hello to a new career TopNotch, as a highly paid professional salesmen going door to door for magazine subscriptions.

9. 2underpar

2underpar Active Member

just saw on the annapolis gig on the jobs thread that they had 200 applicants. I'd think twice before leaving even a bad gig with nothing on my plate, but that's just me.

10. TopNotch1127

TopNotch1127 New Member

I believe I can do better for myself than working at Wal-Mart or going door-to-door as an magazine salesman.

Thanks for advice/reassurance/sarcastic comments. I've applied for some non-sports-writing gigs, so we'll see how things go.

11. mike311gd

mike311gd Active Member

Best of luck, guy. Just make sure you're happy. That's the important part. A little scratch is good, too. But as long as you're making enough to buy food, being happy is No. 1.

12. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

you wouldn't have made july in my house.

Draft saved Draft deleted