1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Leaving $$$ on the table

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by JackReacher, Dec 14, 2010.

1. secretariat

secretariat Active Member

I don't. I would like to know who these people are who always pick on you. Because being mean makes me have a sad. :(

2. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

OK, guys. Enough. Quit talking to each other. Talk to us. Stop da bullshit and have a Nice Cliff Lee Is a Phillie Day

3. jagtrader

jagtrader Active Member

I don't think you understand what the phrase "leaving money on the table" means. Pujols was three years from free agency when he signed his deal. He didn't have a higher offer from another team. He took long-term security over playing out his arbitration years and hoping to make more later. Lots of guys have done the same thing.

4. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

Malzhan's Vandy contract was also reportedly incentive-laden. He's have needed to win the BCS to make $3 million. His guaranteed salary at Vandy was reportedly going to be $1.2m, basically the same as he's now making at Auburn.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 1, 2015
  5. lono

lono Active Member

Cliff's singing today:

When you're pushed and shoved and almost mugged
    It ain't no place to be
    So i came to one conclusion
    New York ain't for me

From sea to shining sea
    And coast to coast
    Somewhere in the middle
    Is the land i love the most
    I ain't California pretty
    I can't survive the Great White Way
    I'm too dumb for New York city
    And too ugly for L.A.

6. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

And how do you know that he didn't "consider" it?

Just because you choose "B" doesn't mean you didn't consider "A" thoroughly before coming to the decision of "B".

7. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

In a similar vein, suppose your sister has a higher market value as a hooker than as a stripper. She decides she would rather just strip. Should the sex-workers association be mad at her for driving down the overall market? :)

Coming up next on RetroRock 105.5, here's Devo . . .

8. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

Two different job classifications. So no problem as long as she doesn't turn tricks for stripper money.

9. YGBFKM

YGBFKM Guest

I thought this was another tipping thread.

10. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

Cliff Lee does not owe it to the union to take the absolute most money he can take.

11. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

And lots of guys, like Albert, could have made a lot more money playing it year to year rather than buying security. Albert left three years of likely record-breaking arbitration dollars and another three years at or close to whatever the top dollar contract was at the time. He easily left millions of dollars on the table.

Pujols (according to Cot's baseball contracts):
    '04:$7M, '05:$11M, '06:$14M, '07:$15M, '08:$16M, '09:$16M, '10:$16M, '11:$16M club option ($5M buyout)

12. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

Not to be a contrarian, but don't you think it's easy to say that in hindsight, knowing that he maintained his production? Ask an NFL player how fun it is to get to break the bank every year. Some of them do. Some of them tear up a knee and are never the same.

Draft saved Draft deleted