1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Leaving $$$ on the table

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by JackReacher, Dec 14, 2010.

1. Drip

Drip Active Member

Fuck the Yankees. Why is everyone making a big freaking deal because he didn't want to play in a fucked up place like New York? Not everyone wants to play with all the bullshit involved. Some people just want to play the game. An athlete can't take a shit without someone wanting to film it. Good for Cliff Lee. Good for MLB.

2. novelist_wannabe

novelist_wannabe Well-Known Member

Well, you were calling the contract he signed undervalued. It's not argumenative to question whether that's true. If you look at it only in terms of dollars, there's certainly a case that it is, and if Lee only looked at it in terms of dollars, the seventh year and another $20 million would've been a no-brainer. But values are measured in other ways. Lee clearly valued something besides money.

I wasn't saying that Lee has an adversarial relationship with the union. I'm just saying that he has the right -- which he seems to have exercised -- to make up his own mind.

3. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

Well, no, I never called Lee's contract undervalued. I've stated from the first page of the thread that the union would be happy with the AAV. Lee's use of his free agency rights was text book. In addition to market-establishing AAV, he also went to a market and team of his choosing.

Draft saved Draft deleted