1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Leaving for a new job- last column

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by bhmccorm, Jul 6, 2012.

1. Petrie

Petrie Guest

I worked at a place for 5 years, and my old boss wanted me to write one before I left. I said absolutely not. So instead of a quick editor's note on replacing the spot ("Petrie has left the Podunk Press; we will now run national columns every Tuesday in this place" or something of the sort), he writes this awkward tribute sort of thing (and takes credit for where I ended up, even though I went to a smaller shop and he didn't really provide any sort of professional help in my time there) before getting to what should've been the editor's note. Then he sent it to me.

Now if he writes a farewell column for himself (he's been there for 20-plus years and is an institution), then by all means he should. But I wasn't around long enough or felt important enough to even really say goodbye, besides "This is his last column." in the tagline. If you have to think about whether you should write a farewell, just save it.

2. Tom Petty

Tom Petty New Member

"suck it, bitches. bhm out!"

there, it's written.

3. jr/shotglass

jr/shotglass Well-Known Member

Now, see, that's stylish without being gaudy.

4. Dawgpound17

Dawgpound17 Member

Mason Kelley had a good one recently when leaving the ST. "It's not easy to say goodbye, so instead I'll say thank you"

5. Tom Petty

Tom Petty New Member

you know, shots, it's all about an economy of words, isn't it?

6. There seems to have been a proliferation of needlessly lengthy going-away columns/blog entries in recent years. I've always been of the school of going out with dignity and humility. The less said about yourself, the better.

There is one college hack (much beloved in the SJ universe) who basically turned his final two weeks into a going-away tour on his blog/twitter account. The false modesty was poorly disguised and it was painful to read. Another hack (also much beloved) wrote about a 2,500 word goodbye blog entry immediately upon being hired...even though he still had three weeks to go at his current job.

I have no problem with writers who have developed an online following doing a short note of thank-yous. But I could do without these self-congratulatory manifestos poorly masked with a few aww-shucks here and there. You're not that important. Always remember that.

7. Johnny Dangerously

Johnny Dangerously Well-Known Member

Just write the farewell column under a fake byline.

8. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

Just fade away. Here one day, gone the next.

If anybody cares, they'll find out where you went.

If they don't, they won't.

9. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

I've read farewell columns from writers who only sent a year in Podunk. No one cares, besides your mom, what you think of the town.

10. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

For lots of people, spending a year in Podunk is sort of like spending it at the state pen.

11. Drip

Drip Active Member

True words to live by.

Draft saved Draft deleted