1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

leaving a job you just started a few months ago

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Brain of J, Aug 7, 2006.

1. spaceman

spaceman Active Member

DO NOT tell them A FRIGGING THING until you have the offer letter from the new place.

DO NOT tell them A FRIGGING THING until you have the offer letter from the new place.

2. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

You seem to be all over the place, space.

3. SF_Express

SF_Express Active Member

Yeah, and I'm with Moddy on general principal. But I guess it depends on his read of the situation. If he thinks letting them know he's considering after just two months might piss 'em off and put him at risk, he might want to be a little more discreet in this instance.

4. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

If a person who had only worked for me a few months told me they were talking to a bigger paper, I would be bummed, but people have to do what's best for them.

If a person who had only worked for me for a few months sprung a two-week's notice on me, I would be pissed. Not sure that would matter to the person leaving. But I wouldn't forget it.

5. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

If they just hired you two months ago, they SHOULD have a whole stack of fresh resumes in the can.

When they hired you, more than likely they had a First Runner-Up, Second Runner-Up, and Third Runner-Up in the selection process. If they make three phone calls, I bet you dollars to donuts probably two of those people are still looking for jobs.

Let them make three phone calls.

6. blandcanyon

blandcanyon Guest

is probably not as gratifying as leaving one you just started 15 years ago.

7. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

I worked at one place 5 years. They were there 100 years before I got there. They are still around 10 years later.

I worked at another place 3 months. Same deal.

They'll live and you'll live. And your decision should be based on what is best for you.

8. Brain, Your first loyalties are to yourself and your family. If you have an opportunity to move up quickly in this business, take it. Because if you weren't cutting it at your present gig, they would not hesitate to tell you to hit the bricks.

9. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

I worked at one place eight years. There were there 75 years before me.
    I worked at another place one year. They were there 50 years before me.

Neither one was around when I left.

10. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

OK -- YOU'LL live. Fuck them! ;D

11. HejiraHenry

HejiraHenry Well-Known Member

Um, you're NOT hired. Sorry.

12. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

Lock up the new, better gig, then take it.

Take care of you. And yours. And dogs and cats other people kick out. That's about it.

And welcome back, BrainofJ...

The whole world will be different soon...

Draft saved Draft deleted