1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

leaving a job you just started a few months ago

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Brain of J, Aug 7, 2006.

1. Brain of J

Brain of J Member

So I'm in this situation with 2 jobs and I know its foolish not to take the opportunity thats being presented, (bigger paper, more money, more things to cover, better chance for advancement), but I just started my current job two months ago.  I'm fairly new to this  so I don't know, when is the best time to let my current employers know that I'm close to leaving for a better place? I also feel a little bad in that if I do get the job, I'd be leaving at a bad time, right before the preps season begins, and that they might be hard pressed to find a replacement right away.
    Thats not my problem I guess in a sense, but I don't want to leave them high and dry either.

I'm planning on telling them once I have an interview set up, but if I told them earlier it might help them find a replacement since I'm working at a pretty small paper and its not like there will be a lot of people who would be excited to work here.

Anyone who's been through this kind of thing from either side, I'd sure like to hear what your opinions are on it.

Thanks!

2. DyePack

DyePack New Member

If you don't have the other job lined up, why would you tell them anything?

3. sportschick

sportschick Active Member

If it's a better opportunity, take it. They'll most likely understand. No need to EVER feel like you owe your current gig much. They'd probably screw you if given the chance.

That said, I wouldn't suggest saying anything to them until you've at least been flown out (or driven out) for an interview. No need to clue them into you looking into it reaches a place where it's serious.

And, since I know where you're at, just get the hell outta Dodge. Nobody wants to be stuck in that pit of dispair. :-*

4. tyler durden 71351

tyler durden 71351 Active Member

Don't tell them anything until you get the job from the other place! Seriously, you've only been there for two months...you're still a probationary employee. I can understand you don't want to leave these people in a lurch, but you don't want to screw yourself out of a job. If you want to help our your current employer, help 'em find a replacement for you...give 'em some names of some good guys and gals you know.

5. DyePack

DyePack New Member

They would screw you if given the chance.

Screw them first. Screw them hard.

6. Brain of J

Brain of J Member

And thats what I figured. its looking pretty good, the upcoming job opportunity, but I've been in this situation before, things can change real fast.
    What seems like a done deal could be gone the next day.

7. BYH

BYH Active Member

Outing alert: DyePack takes karate with Cobra Kai. :D

8. SF_Express

SF_Express Active Member

They'll live if you leave.

You'll be passing up a chance to better yourself if you don't.

They're a company.

You're you.

It's simple -- but I do agree that in your case, I'd have things locked up at the new place before telling the old. That's not always the case, but it is here.

Give them full notice when it's a done deal, leave with class -- but don't over apologize, one "I'm sorry about the timing" will do -- and then good luck to you.

9. thegrifter

thegrifter Member

Exactly. Make sure you already have the other job offer in writing before you even tell your current employer. like everyone else pointed out, your employer would fire you in a heartbeat if they had to. you don't owe them shit, and when it comes to business decisions, i'm sure they'll care little about your well-being.

10. Gold

Gold Active Member

Brain - use your brain and think...

How would you possibly benefit from telling management this? Will that help you get a better job?

There is no upside to telling anybody - anybody - where you work. There could be a lot of potential downside.

You tell them when you get a firm offer, and not a moment before.

Look, this business is very transitory and there is a lot of movement. When you were hired, your supervisor probably didn't assume you would be there for five years.

11. ServeItUp

ServeItUp Active Member

Moddy will come on and tell you you owe your current employer the courtesy of letting them know you're looking.

Wise man once told me the only things you owe your employer are an honest day's work and two weeks' notice.

12. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

There are hundreds of unemployed journalists on the market.

If they really want to find somebody, they can do it within 48 hours.

Don't tell anybody anything until you have the firm job offer in your pocket.

Then, give them two calendar weeks notice. Be polite, offer to pass along some names of people you know who might be interested, wish them luck, and hit the road.

Draft saved Draft deleted