1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Leave of absence?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Tyler Durden, Dec 7, 2006.

1. Jesus_Muscatel

Jesus_Muscatel Well-Known Member

Best of luck, Tyler.

But I have a hard time seeing you as Professor Jennings and swooping down to take Katy from Boon, a la "Animal House."

Maybe I'm just having a hard time with that scene in general.

Gimme a shout mi amigo. I'm interested in the particulars here.

2. I'm wrestling with a similar problem as you, Tyler, and I've decided to take the leap. Yours sounds like a good situation. Go for it. You can always come back, and your resume will be that much stronger for it. Good luck.

3. txsportsscribe

txsportsscribe Active Member

i "taught" in undergraduate reporting lab while in grad school and tried my hand at teaching high school journalism. had a blast in the college gig but ran hard and fast from the high school not even a semester in. hated it, hated it, hated it. but i'd do the college thing again at the drop of a hat. and like others have already said, i wouldn't consider it "stepping away from the biz."

4. Herbert Anchovy

Herbert Anchovy Active Member

Take the job.

5. Editude

Editude Active Member

Colleges aren't going away, if my monthly checks are any indication, so a jump to teach there could be a nice transition. High school? No thanks.

6. Herbert Anchovy

Not if it's a private academy. If you play your cards right, you couldn't get fired or laid off with a blowtorch.

7. JackS

JackS Member

Would teaching part-time at the college be an option?

I eventually want to teach full-time, but I'm not ready to do that yet, so I recently applied for a position that wouldn't require leaving my current employ.

But no matter how you do it, I think you're right about teaching helping in the long run.

P.S. I miss the zip code.

8. Flip Wilson

Flip Wilson Well-Known Member

My department chairman told me when I was hired that there were pretty much just three things I could do that would get me fired:
    1. Sleep with a student (I would lose a lot more than my job if that happened, according to my wife)
    2. Steal money (I don't have access to any university funds,so no problem there)
    3. Don't show up for work.

9. JackS

JackS Member

Oh man, don't even say that as a joke. Do we learn nothing from the past on this board?

10. Herbert Anchovy

That sums it up.

What a life.

11. Flip Wilson

Flip Wilson Well-Known Member

I turned in grades today and don't have to be back on campus until Jan. 8. What a life, indeed.

Draft saved Draft deleted