1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Leave of absence?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Tyler Durden, Dec 7, 2006.

1. Tyler Durden

Tyler Durden New Member

Got a friend looking for some advice...

He has a job offer that will take him out of journalism as far as newspapers, but would keep him under the overall umbrella of "media." The job would pay significantly better would have enough time to freelance. On the surface, it seems like a good opportunity.

Question is: How difficult is it to get back into the business after you leave for a year or two or more?

2. Flip Wilson

Flip Wilson Well-Known Member

I taught part-time for a year-and-a-half and I'm about to finish my first semester of fulltime teaching. It was a good, good move for me. Previously, I was an SID and had hours similar to a reporter's. I taught four classes this semester and am teaching three in the spring. I'm never at work later than about 5:30, and I had two weekend meetings this semester. I freelanced some this semester and am looking to pick it up in the spring. I don't teach in the summer, so I'm planning to freelance a lot then. I've already started making some contacts.

As to your original question, I don't think teaching journalism is taking you a step away from the business. If anything, I think a future employer would look favorably at anyone who knows enough about the process to teach it.

3. Bears00

Bears00 Member

Flip, not to derail the thread, but how long did it take to get your teaching degree? Or did you already have it?

4. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

Teaching would be neat, but I'm probably too far into things to take the cut in pay. If you can fit it in your budget, I'd say go for it. Influencing future journalists sounds cool.

5. Flip Wilson

Flip Wilson Well-Known Member

It took me four years to get my master's, taking one class at a time. It was a 30-hour program, so 10 classes.

6. tapintoamerica

tapintoamerica Well-Known Member

Take the teaching gig.

7. I'll never tell

I'll never tell Active Member

You'd probably get a better job if you decided to leave teaching

8. Claws for Concern

Claws for Concern Active Member

It's honorable to want to teach journalism and I think it would be a good break from the reporting demands. Freelancing on the side would be great as a way to give you something to look forward to when you're not teaching. Go for it. Life's too short to wait on something that could give you more satisfaction.

9. leo1

leo1 Active Member

you've answered your own question. your job is a dead-end job (according to you) in that it'll never change or lead to advancement (again, your words).

now you can break free and do something different while keeping your toes in the water. take the teaching job and part-time takeout guy.

10. Was your masters in journalism, Tyler, or something else?

11. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

Take the teaching gig.

12. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

I agree. The teaching gig may be something you love. Or it may be a better steppingstone to other journalism jobs if you go back full time.

Draft saved Draft deleted