1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Least favorite holiday song?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Ace, Dec 7, 2007.

1. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

I like Christmas music but there are some songs (and versions of songs) that I just despise.

I hate "Winter Wonderland" rhyming "conspire" with "fire" just seems forced and wrong.

When we had to sing in it elementary school, I would always sing "later on, we'll perspire, as we sit, by the fire."

Anyway, it seems like a song designed not to offend anyone. Blecch.

Any others?

2. Captain_Kirk

Captain_Kirk Well-Known Member

When I hear this one, I am Simply (Not) Having A Wonderful Christmas Time.

Sorry, Paul. Love your body of work, but that's a major league stinker.

3. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Ding, dong, ding, dong
    Ding, dong, ding, dong

4. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

The double-barrelled shotgun of holiday musical fail:

"Santa Baby" and "Grandma Got Run Over By A Reindeer"

5. writing irish

writing irish Active Member

The library of Christmas suck is immense. "Little Saint Nick" by the Beach Boys is enough to make me want to destroy all of California in a rampage of vengeance. Out of the traditional English carols, I'd say that "Deck the Halls" sucks the eggnog out of Scrooge's withered phallus.

6. Bob Slydell

Bob Slydell Active Member

Grandma got run over by a reindeer makes me want to kill an elf!!!

7. HC

HC Well-Known Member

Pop singers mangling Schubert's setting of "Ave Maria".

a. NOT a Christmas song

b. If you're going to sing in Latin, learn what it means and don't breathe in the middle of a fuckin' word.

c. It's a beautiful song but it's not meant to be lugubrious and slow. Wallowing is unbecoming in a singer.

8. Bad Guy Zero

Bad Guy Zero Active Member

Anything by Johnny Mathis.

9. alleyallen

alleyallen Guest

Santa Baby and We Wish You A Merry Christmas...HATE THEM!

I love Have a Holly Jolly Christmas, especially sung by Berl Ives.

10. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

Some of the least fave have already been mentioned, most notably Simply Having A Wonderful Christmas Time, which is almost hideous enough to go into a time machine and feed Lennon-McCartney songs like Winchester Cathedral or Incense And Peppermints, so the Beatles' popularity would never reach the heights they reached, thus preventing McCartney from having a solo career and keeping us from ever hearing that insipid song.

We have this thread every year, but I'll throw in for All I Want For Christmas Is My Two Front Teeth. All I want for Christmas is to punch that little fucker in the mouth, teeth or sans teeth.

11. Cansportschick

Cansportschick Active Member

Jingle Cats version of White Christmas.

The most painful thing I have ever had to let my eardrums endure.

Captain Kirk and Bubbler one thing I have to say about your dissing of McCartney's Xmas hit: :mad: :mad: :mad:

12. Captain_Kirk

Captain_Kirk Well-Known Member

Well, if you punch him in the mouth, he's gonna be needing more than two teeth, I surmise.

Draft saved Draft deleted