1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Learning another language

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Dick Whitman, Jun 28, 2011.

1. JonnyD

JonnyD Member

I didn't say impossible. I said really hard. Depending on what you mean by "basics," there's a big difference between that and being able to conduct business in the language.

2. HC

HC Well-Known Member

Saw this article and thought of this thread: http://newsfeed.time.com/2011/07/07/global-grades-sweden-may-add-mandarin-to-primary-school-curriculum/

3. JR

JR Well-Known Member

I used to be about 80% fluent in German and French. Haven't used them a long time but immersed for a month or so in either I'd get it back pretty quickly

I have on sister who knows French, German, Italian and a little Spanish, another who speaks French & Spanish.

The romance languages-particularly Spanish--are the easiest to learn.

Learning Chinese to carry on a business conversation would be a monumental task. Same with Arabic.

4. JR

JR Well-Known Member

Pastor should chime in. I believe he speaks Chinese.

5. Habbakuk

Habbakuk Guest

6. leo1

leo1 Active Member

Agree with this.

I'm a lawyer. I live in South Florida. There are literally tens of thousands of lawyers in Florida who speak Spanish. I recently started studying Japanese again - I grew up in Japan and was conversant but haven't studied the language in 20 years - just for kicks but also because there are only about two dozen lawyers in Florida who speak Japanese. I'm realistic; I don't expect that I will be conducting legal proceedings in Japanese in Tokyo, but it may help me land Japanese speaking clientele.

I subscribed to the podcasts from Japanesepod101.com and they seem to be pretty helpful although I actually just started four days ago so I can't say for sure.

7. forever_town

forever_town Well-Known Member

I can speak at least some Spanish.

My dad's parents are/were from Cuba (my grandfather died in 1996) and many of our relatives and my grandmother's friends were around A LOT. When I finally decided to take Spanish in high school, I already had a trained ear for the language, and it helped my ability to speak it.

If I were to place myself in a situation where I had to speak Spanish, I could get to at least adequate in a short while.

I've dabbled in other languages (namely French, Danish, Italian, ASL), but nothing quite as much as Spanish.

I try to make associations as much as possible and try to think of common things I see all the time and use those words in the language I'm learning. Having a specific motivation also helps.

8. Lieslntx

Lieslntx Active Member

My vote for a language of choice for an older adult wanting to learn a different language would be American Sign Language.

There is an entire subculture for ASL that has existed right along side those speaking English for as long as people have spoken English and yet it goes unnoticed by just about everyone. You can turn any corner and find someone that speaks any of the languages spoken in American but you typically cannot fins someone hearing that is fluent in ASL.

It is really such an amazing language and culture and I always encourage someone looking for a new language to learn to explore it.

No matter what you choose, I agree that immersion is the key.

9. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

About six months ago we relocated and now live about a quarter-mile from one of the country's biggest deaf and blind grade schools. I've seen more sign language in these six months than in my entire life prior to moving, and am now strongly considering learning ASL.

10. 21

21 Well-Known Member

I can't link it here, but the current New Yorker has a hilarious piece by David Sedaris on this subject.

11. TrooperBari

TrooperBari Well-Known Member

How's your reading? Do you remember your kana? I'm studying Japanese as well, and kanji will be the death of me yet.

12. HC

HC Well-Known Member

Sedaris' story about taking French class in "Me Talk Pretty One Day" is one of the funniest things I've ever read. Literally had me weeping with laughter while reading it.

Draft saved Draft deleted