1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Learning a foreign language

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Lucas Wiseman, Jun 14, 2007.

1. Lucas Wiseman

Lucas Wiseman Well-Known Member

Has anyone tried Rosetta Stone's products for learning Spanish? I took Spanish for two years in high school but only remember a few words. I'm headed to Mexico in a couple months for two weeks (on business) and would like to be able to communicate a little bit while I'm there. Just wondering how Rosetta Stone has worked for others or any other suggestions for learning basic Spanish. I considered just taking a week off and doing nothing but watch Telemundo, but I'm not so sure that's the best approach :)

2. Dyno

Dyno Well-Known Member

I've never used Rosetta Stone, but someone I know did in advance of a long trip to Italy. She said she learned and retained quite a bit. Unfortunately, she said once she got over there, the people she was dealing with all wanted to practice their English, so she didn't get to use much of her newly learned Italian.

3. PeteyPirate

PeteyPirate Guest

Among language professionals, Pimsleur is said to have the best products:

http://www.simonsays.com/content/index.cfm?PID=523078&tab=13

Very pricey, though.

4. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

Good news: I'm bilingual.

Bad news: They're English and Profanity. Sorry, Webby. :D

5. Brooklyn Bridge

Brooklyn Bridge Well-Known Member

This saves me from having to start a new post. I was thinking of doing the exact same thing. I heard Rosetta stone was an easy way to learn. And they're not too expensive, about $200. My question, should I take up Spanish or French? Spanish for obvious reasons, would be practical, (esp in this line of work) but I travel to Canada once a year and would like to make it over to Europe at some point, therefore French.

So, Spanish, or French? Thanks.

6. I would say Spanish is much more practical. In Canada, French is spoken predominantly in Quebec, but in Montreal, most people (from what I can tell) are at least somewhat bilingual.

As far as Europe is concerned, English is probably more widespread than French is. It's very easy to get by in Europe in English these days (as opposed to 10-15 years ago). It's how a lot of Europeans communicate with each other, let alone North Americans.

7. KG

KG Active Member

Man I only remembered because of this thread but I have the French one somewhere. I had gotten it on a whim and then went back to school and didn't have time to do it. I need to find it.

Come hang out around any fast food joint in Atlanta if you want to learn Spanish. I don't necessarily mean that in a negative way. Just from living in the metro Atlanta area I've picked up enough Spanish to be able to read a sign and figure out what it's talking about. Sometimes I can somewhat follow a conversation going on nearby. What's funny is when it's a couple of guys making sexual remarks, thinking none of the American chicks around them have a clue. I'll turn to them and give them "the glare." It's a hoot to see the look on their faces.

8. three_bags_full

three_bags_full Well-Known Member

The Army offers Rosetta Stone to soldiers at no cost. When I finish flight school, which'll be about 18 months, I tink I'm going to pick up one, although I have no idea which it'll be.

9. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

Ivate a la mierda!

The only phrase you'll ever need in Mexico... ;D

10. FileNotFound

FileNotFound Well-Known Member

I spent quite a bit of time in Montréal the last couple of years, and I found myself actually surprised at how many people DON'T speak English well. I understand the farther north you go in Québec, the more true that is.

For getting around in Europe, English will do just fine. For getting around in the southern U.S., Mexico or South America, Spanish is much more practical.

11. Human_Paraquat

Human_Paraquat Well-Known Member

I picked up the Arabic version of Rosetta about a year back for real cheap but never got around to it. Thanks for the reminder -- summer project!

12. leo1

leo1 Active Member

i guess great minds think alike. lately i have been thinking about picking up the spanish version of rosetta stone sometime later this year. i have no idea how well it will work.

Draft saved Draft deleted