1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Lean Dean the Second

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Moderator1, Mar 14, 2008.

1. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

That's what I was wondering ... the AJ.com post doesn't mention any specific shop or chain.

If you think your paycheck will bounce upon deposit, go to your employer's bank and cash it first. Better just to have it declined at the teller window at the boss' bank than cost you a fee for the bounced paycheck plus your own NSF fees at your bank.

2. Rex Harrison

Rex Harrison Member

Many will not snap knowing full well that there is a lucrative living (compared to journalism) in Taco Bell store management.

3. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

Does anybody still get a paycheck? Isn't direct deposit the way everyone is going?

4. hockeybeat

hockeybeat Guest

If you freelance, you get paychecks. Unless you write for Singleton. Then you get magic beans.

5. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

Right, I got that. But our man says his PAYCHECK bounced. Not a freelance check. One reason to make 'em put straight money into your account.
    I'd be seriously up in arms if an employer bounced a check.

6. hockeybeat

hockeybeat Guest

I agree.

7. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

That's why I posted that last note, Moddy — been there, done that. If you think the check will bounce, go for cash. His bank won't cash it, then you get to take it up with the boss.

And there are still newspaper companies — hell, companies <i>period</i> — which refuse to adopt direct deposit. I am informed that my last-ever newspaper finally set up direct deposit and pre-employment drug testing¹ last year.

¹No joke. And they wondered why they had trouble keeping delivery people².
    ²Not that they have to worry about them anymore — they also switched to Postal Service delivery. :-\

8. Joe Williams

Joe Williams Well-Known Member

And the music goes 'round and 'round...

http://www.sportsjournalists.com/forum/threads/53225/

9. Piotr Rasputin

Piotr Rasputin New Member

Only a sort-of related rat, but I guess it belongs in a Lean Dean thread:

Why do we think publishers, EICs and ownership don't understand that reducing staff means reducing quality?

The ownership gets it . . they just don't care. They're focused on staying profitable today and the immediate tomorrow.

The Publisher gets it, but he's trying to figure out how to tell his ad staff to continue selling ads for a depleted product without advertisers noticing. So he can keep his job today and the immesidate tomorrow.

And the EIC sure as hell gets it, but his (or her) hands are tied by the above.

10. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

First off, I wouldn't even joke about a workplace shooting. That's just not cool. But I do think that publishers have been putting people more interested in a title than the cash in positions of power and these people are ill-suited for management. Just as I've seen generations of talented reporters leave the business, I've seen many managers leave and replaced by who lack the people skills normally required to get the most out of a staff. And all you Singleton folks don't sweat it, it sounds like it will all be over soon enough.

Draft saved Draft deleted