1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Leagues/officials issuing apologies

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Inky_Wretch, May 12, 2009.

1. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

The apology after Saturday's Nugents/Mavericks game by the NBA got me wondering how many other times that's happened.

I know Ed Hochuli apologized for the Broncos/Chargers mistake. But did the NFL?

And have there been other league-issued apologies for officiating blunders that I'm just not remembering?

2. txsportsscribe

txsportsscribe Active Member

the nfl should apologize for the detroit lions

3. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

There was one season that the league office apologized to the Steelers for errors by officials at least twice, including one in which blown clock management by the refs cost them the chance to kick a tying field goal as time ran out in Cleveland. I think it was 1998, the same year as the infamous coin toss with Jerome Bettis and Phil Luckett before overtime in Detroit on Thanksgiving day.

4. GB-Hack

GB-Hack Active Member

From what I recall, the NFL did apologize to then Indianapolis cornerback Ellis Hobbs for an erroneous pass interference call a couple of year ago.

5. CitizenTino

CitizenTino Active Member

That had to be 2000. Browns didn't return to the league until '99, and I think the only home game they've won against Pittsburgh since coming back was in 2000.

6. it was against the Colts while he was with the Patriots ... in the 2006 afc championship game

7. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

The USTA apologized to Serena Williams in 2004 for an umpire missing a call in the final set of her quarterfinal loss to Capriati.

http://www.nytimes.com/2004/09/09/sports/tennis/09serena.html

8. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

The ICC (cricket) apologized for suspending a Sri Lanka-Australia 2007 World Cup match for darkness, then returning the players to the field to finish the final three overs "in virtual darkness."

http://www.usatoday.com/sports/2007-04-30-3273711029_x.htm

9. Colton

Colton Active Member

And I remember a Browns game in Pittsburgh at Three Rivers, during The Jinx. Think it was 1978, Larry Anderson fumbled the opening kickoff in overtime at about the Pittsburgh 20 and the Browns recovered.

Of course there was an inadvertent whistle or some other bullshit call, Pittsburgh keeps possession.

A few plays later, Bradshaw hits someone on a fleaflicker from midfield to win it.

Every replay in the world showed Anderson fumbled the ball... and not a word from the league was ever uttered.

So, as Robby Benson said in "One on One," you can take your apologies and...

10. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

That's what I get for trying to go from memory. Had to be 2000 then.

11. UPChip

UPChip Well-Known Member

Didn't the All-England Club issue a "My bad" after Venus lost to some Jane Doe-jevic (Karolina Sprem) because the umpire lost track of the score?

12. Bullrog

Bullrog Member

That wasn't just any World Cup match, it was the final.
    I remember watching it (yes, the entire thing), and it was ridiculous making Sri Lanka finish their overs.
    It was a foregone conclusion they had no shot to reach Australia's runs.

Draft saved Draft deleted