1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

League - Barry was fouled

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by dargan, May 28, 2008.

1. Blitz

Blitz Active Member

Lots of 'em are, every season. In every pro sport.
    Overs and unders, you name name it.
    Anything's for sale in pro entertainment.

Some of the contests are straight-up. Don't get me wrong.
    But a smaller percentage are staged.
    When you've got 162 games, or 82 games, you've got lots of room to wiggle.

2. dargan

dargan Active Member

Regardless of your position on an issue, anyone with a Homer Stokes avatar is cool with me.

3. Simon_Cowbell

Simon_Cowbell Active Member

It says "two-shot foul should have been called"

4. Simon_Cowbell

Simon_Cowbell Active Member

Jordan not called for charging against Bryon Russell is the worst call in league history.

5. dargan

dargan Active Member

I know. I read it.
    I agree. He pushed Russell to the ground.

6. Chi City 81

Chi City 81 Guest

Look at the play again. There was no official in position to see it. Russell's body was shielding Jordan's arm.

7. dargan

dargan Active Member

I know. Just frustrating, you know.

8. Chi City 81

Chi City 81 Guest

Well, I had the pleasure of living in Chicago during the entire Jordan era, so it wasn't frustrating for me. 8)

9. dargan

dargan Active Member

How convenient.

10. amraeder

amraeder Well-Known Member

Thing is, though, Barry didn't jump into the defender in this one, the defender jumped ON him. So, while I don't disagree with your statement, it's not really relevant here.

EDIT: That reads way more dick-ish than I ment it to. Just saying it doesn't apply in this situation.

11. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

yup. but he got away with shit like that since his third year in the league.

12. beardpuller

beardpuller Active Member

OK, I don't care, I agree with those who feel the refs' incompetence balanced out because they missed that the Lakers' previous shot hit the rim, but double, what you're citing isn't even close to what happened on that final play. I saw Barry fake the defender into the air, try to drive around him, get knocked offstride by the contact, and throw up a shot. Absolutely a foul.
    RE other posters on this thread, if the refs don't want to decide the game in the final seconds, why don't they just go to the locker room with a minute left and let the teams hash it out, no holds barred? No, you don't want a game decided on a technicality, but christ ... guy with the ball gets knocked sideways, the whistle blows.

Draft saved Draft deleted