1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Lead sports designer, The Oklahoman

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by msherman, Mar 20, 2008.

1. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

I'll be happy to be the second lead if they're still hiring.

Let the lead designer take all the crap. :)

2. From Odessa to Plano, Muskogee to Beaumont, a wind rises from the heartland. Its intent is the betterment of newspaperdom, and its intent is a just cause, not a "just 'cuz."

To fill this position? It takes the heart of a warrior and the spirit not known since speakeasies were commonplace.

How likely a non-stalwart (or, Mizzougraduate "amazing unbelievable heffing stud") will fill this position? Well, try to imagine a doormat rising up and kicking down the door. 'Tisn't likely. 'Tis a big-boy job.

The dear Mr. Crutchmer knows of what he speaks. Trust him, for he, is "good people." His work has stood the test of time, at the highest of levels, and therefore is the most cognizant thought in this thread until this very post.

3. Chi City 81

Chi City 81 Guest

This post works if you imagine it in the voice of John Facenda.

4. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

But I can't piece together "The Frozen Tundra of Oklahoma City." Just doesn't fit. :)

A big thanks to Frank for the CJR link. Frightening stuff.

5. JRoyal

JRoyal Well-Known Member

Should've been in Oklahoma this December. "Frozen" definitely would've worked.

6. Football_Bat

This post works even better if you remove Plano. A journalistic bastion it is not.

7. msherman

msherman New Member

I'm excited to announce Bill Bootz is rejoining The Oklahoman sports staff as lead designer. The move brings Bill back where he started and, we think, back where he belongs. Bill worked in sports previously and most recently was presentation editor at the Quad City Times. He starts back with us on Monday. I know he'll help our department and the newspaper improve.

I appreciate all the response we received from this posting. Many strong candidates applied. I also appreciate the supportive remarks on this thread from some friends in the business, and even some comments that weren't so supportive. Nobody's perfect, especially me. Just ask Mike Gundy.

I've tried to email and call most of those who applied for the job. Apologies to those I wasn't able to connect with.

Regards,

Mike Sherman
    Sports Editor
    The Oklahoman

8. writing irish

writing irish Active Member

Good luck and have a happy Bill Bootz day. Let's be careful out there!

9. Football_Bat

Stay on-topic and watch your back door.

Draft saved Draft deleted