1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Leach to Wazzu

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by KYSportsWriter, Dec 18, 2010.

1. Rumpleforeskin

Rumpleforeskin Active Member

Re: Leach to Maryland

Saw a sign tonight held by a younger girl tonight on Fox Sports Southwest tonight during the Euless-Trinity (Trojains) vs Pearland (Oilers) state championship game...

"Trojans can't handle the pressure."

I laughed.

2. CarlSpackler

CarlSpackler Active Member

And has it occurred to anyone why no other school has touched Leach with a 10-meter cattle prod? Just seems like a risky move on top of a dick move.

3. podunk press

podunk press Active Member

This was handled poorly, but the Maryland athletic director got what he wanted.

As I wrote in another thread, this has absolutely nothing to do with wins or losses.

Leach is being brought in to sell tickets and luxury boxes that Friedgen could not. It's also worth noting that Leach is the handpicked choice of the Under Armour president, who has more sway with the Maryland program than ever.

4. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

Maybe this was in works all a long and Leach rebuffed efforts of other schools

5. mb

mb Active Member

He's gonna win. Big. And be awesome doing it.

6. Double Down

Double Down Well-Known Member

Kevin Plank is trying to be to Maryland what Phil Knight is to Oregon, it seems.

Good luck with that.

7. SockPuppet

SockPuppet Active Member

He's gonna win. Big (at first). And be (an) awesome (a-hole) doing it. Maryland better make sure its equipment sheds don't lock.

8. Matt Stephens

Matt Stephens Well-Known Member

I'm actually kinda glad Oklahoma State didn't hire him as the OC. If the Pokes did, they'd stand no chance in the South throwing every play.

9. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

He may well win.

Awesome . . . he'll never, ever be.

10. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

I will become a Maryland fan when this happens.

11. Big Circus

Big Circus Well-Known Member

Crossing over to Mizzou's rankings in the expectations thread...this should make them a legit player in the Atlantic and put them in the 8-win range every year, contending for the BCS every few years.

But "win. Big."? I'm putting that bar as Atlantic favorite, year in, year out, and I don't see that from MD, ever, no matter who coaches there. (And before people call out my bias, replace "Atlantic" with "Coastal" and "MD" with "UVa" and I'll agree with that, too.)

And as seemingly the only guy on this board who doesn't like Fridge, I'll put this out there, too - dude got fucked here, big-time. He didn't deserve this at all. Tacky move, Plank.

EDIT: Just to be clear, in this post, when I say Atlantic, I mean the Atlantic Division, not the ACC. Why couldn't Swofford have come up with some decent, non-confusing names like Legends and Leaders?

12. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

As A Twerp Alum, I'm down with this. Fridge was great in the beginning and caught lightening in a bottle, but he never recruited as well as he should have off of his first 3 10 win seasons.
    For that Matter, Gary Williams got the least recruiting bang of any National Champion.

If Leach can recruit and fill da house, that's what he's there for.

Draft saved Draft deleted