1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Le Batard: "Time to open a new chapter in my life"

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Speedway, May 11, 2008.

1. Lugnuts

Lugnuts Well-Known Member

It's strange - the column made me wonder about his personal life.

Usually when people say, "I need to grow up..." that means they've made a mistake.

2. Herbert Anchovy

Herbert Anchovy Active Member

A career built on jocksniffing is a mistake.

3. Frank_Ridgeway

Frank_Ridgeway Well-Known Member

He's not the first newspaper writer to do this. He's not even the first Miami Herald columnist to do this:

http://www.davebarry.com/gg/NoMoreColumn%20interview.htm

And Dave Barry wasn't the first Herald star to take a sabbatical, either:

http://www.ednabuchanan.com/ednabio2.htm

Was Edna Buchanan the first? Who the fuck knows.

I don't think it was a terrific idea for DLB to write an entire column about it, but he didn't have to admit the column had suffered because of the outside work. How often have you seen a writer do that?

4. ned racine

ned racine Member

i enjoyed his columns until he felt the need to play the contrarian..sticking up for Bonds,Ricky W and others.He thought he was the voice of the downtrodden when he really wasn't...He turned into another writer who put tv and radio ahead of writing.Thats why I still believe guys like Wilbon,Mariotti,Wojnowski,and Plaschke still put the newspaper as number one.Mariotti and Wilbon dont miss their TV stuff that is true,but I dont get the sense that it really takes away from their newspaper work.

5. Interesting blog post by LeBastard! on tbl today.

http://thebiglead.com/?p=5820

The best part: The sports fan is starting to cover sports with us, invading our turf without going to journalism school or sweating on a beat. We can embrace that. Or we can fight against it and lose.

6. There's some serious self-loathing going on there.
    I'd say he needs the sabbatical.

7. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

Or you can marginalize it by performing at a consistently-high level in print . . . something DLB hasn't done (given his seemingly-endless string of apologist pieces)
    in years.

8. Joe Williams

Joe Williams Well-Known Member

I've got to admit, I'm a sucker for an apology. It may be way too late and largely insincere (some here clearly believe that), but it still separates him from so many who never even blink about half-assed efforts. So I'm cutting DLB a itsy, bitsy amount of slack. Not that he cares...

Draft saved Draft deleted