1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Le Batard, Deadspin, the HOF vote

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by H.L. Mencken, Jan 8, 2014.

1. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

Are votes weighted in any way, like in, for example, the AP polls?

2. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

If I'm a guy who had a decent 10-year career, I'd think a copy of the HOF ballot with my name on it would be a prized piece of memorabilia.

I'd frame that shit, both for the pride factor, and for the self deprecating factor.

3. Captain_Kirk

Captain_Kirk Well-Known Member

Well. this certainly won't go over too well with most here I'm guessing, but I kind of like the way golf does it, or at least the LPGA--get a certain amount of tour wins, and you're in the hall. Wouldn't mind seeing that done for 300 wins, 3,000 hits and 500 home runs.

Of course that's going to put most all the evildoers in--Clemens, Palmiero, McGwire, Sosa et al. These folks probably for the most part are going to get in eventually, it's just a matter of how much handwringing and anguish occurs until that happens.

I guess the way I look at it as an outsider is that if you've put up numbers of 300/3,000/500, your fame is pretty much established in the annals of the game; whether a third party group of evaluators validates it or not.

4. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

One issue there is that there's a better than decent chance no one wins 300 games in the foreseeable future.

5. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

This would seem to solve the problem of idiot writers voting in rag-armed bums like Sandy Koufax.

6. jr/shotglass

jr/shotglass Well-Known Member

Your blue font came out as black there.

7. Captain_Kirk

Captain_Kirk Well-Known Member

No, I just meant those that those who hit those marks were automatic qualifiers. The voting and debate would remain for everyone else.

8. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

Gotcha. That would turn the BBWAA into basically a version of the Veterans Committee.

Draft saved Draft deleted