1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

LB Press-Telegram furloughs

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by poindexter, Feb 6, 2009.

1. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

http://www.lbreport.com/news/feb09/ptfuro.htm

for management and non-union employees

2. Fredrick

Fredrick Well-Known Member

Did anybody even know what a furlough was until Gannett came up with the brilliant idea? This copy cat stuff is hilarious.

3. I only knew what a furlough was when Deano hit our shop last week because state workers in California are going through the same thing. I think I'm going to conveniently use one of my furlough days when my old man takes his (he works for the state) and we're going to get drunk and mourn the loss of our collective incomes (on the cheap, of course). It has probably already been covered, but FWIW hourly MNG monkeys "get" to take five days whenever spread out in two months but salary monkeys have to take five days all at once.

4. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

It's not just Long Beach. It's all of Singleton's properties in Northern and Southern California. And the union was voting on it in St. Paul as well. I'm guessing it's part of the negotiations he's having with the Denver Post as well.

5. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

Otherwise known as "unilateral pay cuts."

Draft saved Draft deleted