1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Layout/copy editor, Honolulu Star-Bulletin

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by ondeadline, Dec 28, 2006.

1. ondeadline

ondeadline Well-Known Member

The Honolulu Star-Bulletin is seeking an experienced layout and design editor with strong word skills for its Sports department. Applicants must have a solid command of AP style, a good eye for layout, a knowledge of Hawaii and national sports events, a flair for writing crisp headlines and work well under deadline pressure.

Send resume and references to: Paul Arnett, sports editor, Honolulu Star-Bulletin 500 Ala Moana, 7 Waterfront Plaza, #210, Honolulu, Hawaii 96813 / Fax (808) 529-4787 / E-mail parnett@starbulletin.com

2. D-Backs Hack

D-Backs Hack Guest

You'll put in an honest day's work every shift.

I was there for a week recently, and each edition had a huge amount of space (especially for that market) for sports. Two inside pages devoted to NFL copy on some weekdays.

I thought it was the better of the two papers there.

3. DyePack

DyePack New Member

Did you find a tiki idol on the beach?

4. Angola!

Angola! Guest

Didn't this paper have an opening for the same job within the last year?

5. fmrsped

fmrsped Active Member

I wonder what the number of people is that look at this ad, think for a minute, and say, "if I had any balls, I'd apply," finances/logic be damned.

6. zman82

zman82 Member

anybody know if this is a union paper? if so i'm assuming the wages can't be that bad. too bad i don't have any "knowledge of hawaii" or i'd apply.

7. imjustagirl2

imjustagirl2 New Member

Friend of mine found her "balls" and applied for the Maui spot. She's been there several months and loves it.

8. DyePack

DyePack New Member

9. fmrsped

fmrsped Active Member

Decent.

10. joe

joe Active Member

Maui is a union paper, but I have no idea about Honolulu. If Honolulu is like Maui, however, it doesn't pay to move anything over, so you would be expected to pay for it yourself or sell everything and buy new when you got there.
    For a variety of reasons, I turned down the Maui job in February. Regrets, I have a few, but then again, too few to mention.
    Anyway, expect to interview over the phone. And know that it's gonna take at least 36 hours to get home to the mainland if there's a family emergency. In many respects, it's a job for a young person with few ties. Good luck.

11. ColbertNation

ColbertNation Member

Gee whiz, didn't you ever watch Magnum P.I.?

12. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

Downside: The Star-Bulletin is a Black Press paper.

Draft saved Draft deleted